Johnny Metgod

uttoxram75

Johnny trying to cool expectations?

Coach Johnny Metgod has played down Derby's promotion chances, despite their position in the play-off places.

The Rams beat Ssausagehorpe on Saturday to remain fourth in the Championship, three points clear of seventh place

Metgod told BBC Radio Derby: "It's very nice to see the way the side has grown, but we are not there yet by any means - don't even go there.

"You can talk to me again on 8 May and if we are still there in the top six then no problem."

After battling against relegation last season and a poor start to this campaign Derby are now six points behind second-placed Cardiff City.

"Maybe at the end of the day, maybe, just maybe, we might be near a top-six position, but we've only played 18 games so I don't even want to go there

"We've always kept our feet firmly on the ground when we've lost two on the trot, three on the trot, or even four on the trot.

"The moment we step off it then we are an ordinary side, that's what we have to realise."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/derby_county/9217603.stm

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha, he's saying it, but i don't think he's believing it himself. I reckon he's as excited and hopeful as us all. Just trying to keep everyone calm and proffesional. We're in a great position. But looking below us we're on a knife edge.

I like this bloke. Some idiots claim that this is really his Derby team. Usually clutching at straws to try and avoid admitting they were wrong about Nigel. Some are completely ignorant and claim that it's all Nigel.

I think a lot of people might say that Metgod has had a huge influence on our style, passing and movement. He seems a clever (but a bit nuts) bloke. I'm sure he has a massive influence on tactics. But at the end of the day Nigel buys the players, picks the team, picks the formation.... and most of all i'd imagine he's the one that looks them in the eye and tells them what they need to hear. All the tactics in the world don't help if the players aren't confident and don't have faith.

We all know it's Nigel AND his staff that are responsible for our performances. Metgod has been brilliant for us this season imo. I'm sure his influence is a massive factor. But that doesn't need to take anything away from Nigel. It's one thing to put Kris Commons out there to do his thing, it's a completely different ball game to actually get him to do it. That's where the whole team is responsible imo. The fitness guys have got him in the best condition he's been in for years. Metgod and Nigel and Co have him playing with a style that suits him and his team mates. And Nigel has told Commons exactly what he needs to hear. He's laid down a challenge for Commons and Kris has been excellent for us when i think most of us were sort of expecting him to break down. Critics don't even get to call him lazy anymore!!

I like this bloke. Some idiots claim that this is really his Derby team. Usually clutching at straws to try and avoid admitting they were wrong about Nigel. Some are completely ignorant and claim that it's all Nigel.

Totally agree. It's about putting together a team (on and off the field) and Nige, just as TBE did with Mclaren, deserves the credit for getting Metgod in.

Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean that Metgod shouldn't receive praise but ultimately, Nigel brought the guy in (along with Bueno, Cykwa, etc) so it'd be a bit daft to not credit him.

It seems fans of other teams are noticing our form and style of play - I'm getting quite a few people who are saying "going up this season then eh?". I play it cool and say "we'll see what happens in Jan".

I think we're going to need some players back or sign the loanees on permanent deals. I think the stability is important and I'd like to see Moore (who Nigel clearly rates) signed permanently.

This is where PeteDerby will be able to say "told ya so" (if the board doesn't invest) or hopefully "great, they've done the right thing" (if they do).

I think Del Bosque recommended him to Metgod. AS for who went out to watch him play, no idea

Your right. Metgod was with the Netherlands when they played Spain in the world cup final. Not sure whether he asked him before or after the game but in both situations it shows his commitment to derby. Sounds like we have a good person with a lot of contacts in high places.

Totally agree. It's about putting together a team (on and off the field) and Nige, just as TBE did with Mclaren, deserves the credit for getting Metgod in.

Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean that Metgod shouldn't receive praise but ultimately, Nigel brought the guy in (along with Bueno, Cykwa, etc) so it'd be a bit daft to not credit him.

It seems fans of other teams are noticing our form and style of play - I'm getting quite a few people who are saying "going up this season then eh?". I play it cool and say "we'll see what happens in Jan".

I think we're going to need some players back or sign the loanees on permanent deals. I think the stability is important and I'd like to see Moore (who Nigel clearly rates) signed permanently.

This is where PeteDerby will be able to say "told ya so" (if the board doesn't invest) or hopefully "great, they've done the right thing" (if they do).

Deep down is your gut telling you we'll go up though.

I know mine is.... but i don't thinks it's right to raise the bar that high on some for some of these players. Some of them are only breaking into regular first team football really, and others are experiencing their first season at this level...... but i feel quietly confident we're going up.

Deep down is your gut telling you we'll go up though.

I know mine is.... but i don't thinks it's right to raise the bar that high on some for some of these players. Some of them are only breaking into regular first team football really, and others are experiencing their first season at this level...... but i feel quietly confident we're going up.

No, my gut isn't telling me we'll go up. It's saying we'll lose in the play-offs.

We've weathered the storm (to a degree) in terms of injuries but we're bound to lose a few more players as the season goes on.

Archived