Best non-derby game you've ever seen...

Gusboll

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are two non-Derby games which I have attended really stand out for me, maybe not for quality but for pure tension.

One of them was Carlisle United v Plymouth Argyle in May 1999, if Carlisle drew they were relegated the Conference and probably go out of business.

Then on-loan goalkeeper Jimmy Glass saves the day with a goal in the last kick of the game.

Another game with great drama was also at Brunton Park, this time it was the Conference play-off semi final v Aldershot Town in May 2005, Carlisle were 1-0 down after the 1st leg but they soon took a 2-0 by half-time. In the second half Carlisle were holding on until they conceded a stoppage time goal which made it 2-1 on the day and 2-2 on aggregate, so the tie went to extra time and eventually penalties.

In the shoot-out Carlisle missed two out their three penalties and Aldershot scored all three and the game looked over but then it was all square at 3-3 after Carlisle scored their other two penalties and Aldershot missed their pens. In sudden death Carlisle won the penalty shoot 5-4 and a massive pitch invasion ensued. Matty Glennon was the hero that night.:D

There are two non-Derby games which I have attended really stand out for me, maybe not for quality but for pure tension.

One of them was Carlisle United v Plymouth Argyle in May 1999, if Carlisle drew they were relegated the Conference and probably go out of business.

Then on-loan goalkeeper Jimmy Glass saves the day with a goal in the last kick of the game.

Another game with great drama was also at Brunton Park, this time it was the Conference play-off semi final v Aldershot Town in May 2005, Carlisle were 1-0 down after the 1st leg but they soon took a 2-0 by half-time. In the second half Carlisle were holding on until they conceded a stoppage time goal which made it 2-1 on the day and 2-2 on aggregate, so the tie went to extra time and eventually penalties.

In the shoot-out Carlisle missed two out their three penalties and Aldershot scored all three and the game looked over but then it was all square at 3-3 after Carlisle scored their other two penalties and Aldershot missed their pens. In sudden death Carlisle won the penalty shoot 5-4 and a massive pitch invasion ensued. Matty Glennon was the hero that night.:D

You was at the legendary Jimmy Glass game? Lucky b*stad, would have loved to have been there. That for me is the single best moment in football history. Sod your Premiership or Champions League, staying in the football league is the most important thing. The keeper scoring a last second goal to keep you in the football league, cant think of a better moment as a football fan. Felt sorry for Scarborough fans though as it sent them down.

I've not bothered to venture down there yet. Might do next time it's a fiver offer.

i liked the atmosphere...it has none of the stress and baying crowd and aggression of Derby.....the people are laid back and just like a bit a football.

then again it s not like that now at PP is it. It s great to watch us.

I do fancy another trip to Sincil bank though.

My mate went to the spurs Villa match for spurs 125th, think they came from 3 or 4 down t draw late on and its was mental.

I haven't seen many non Derby games live so ill have to say watching the fa cup final in the pub between Liverpool and west Ham, greater atmosphere great match and when it went to penalties se bad a whip around on who would win and all the old folks out for there lunch put money in and came through. Will always remember that day, until about 7pm when I passed out.

...starter for ten - West Brom's 2nd, 4th and 5th goals: quality!

Absolutely brilliant game !

But my how things have changed.

Man U scum booing Cunningham and Regis because they are black.

At the end managers choosing a man of the match but wtf! Atkinson saying "One of the coloured front people"

Jeez!!

And crap Man U defending! Go to 4.11 and lok at the Man U number 3 trying to crop Regis! Quality!

Archived