Grassroots / Scouts

YouRams

Just noticed a post on Facebook from Burton Junior Football Group Winshill FC advertising their summer gala tournament.

In the post they've said "please - No Scouts - If you turn up with a £1000 donation in cash, you can come in for 1 hour! We have already turned away several local Championship clubs" and another which repeated it but finishes WE have worked hard for OUR club.

Is it just me or does that not sit right? Surely the aim of every grassroots club would be to grow their players with the ultimate reward being those kids get scouted, potentially changing their lifes? I have no involvement in grass roots so could be completely missing something but would like to hear others opinions.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Popular Days

Most active in this topic

I'm a grassroots coach, which doesn't by any means make opinion any more valid than any others, but personally think clubs are targeting players too young. 

At 7 or 8 years old, players should be enjoying playing football with their mates.

By all means let them go to coaching with professional teams but don't stop them from playing with their mates.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm a grassroots coach, which doesn't by any means make opinion any more valid than any others, but personally think clubs are targeting players too young. 

At 7 or 8 years old, players should be enjoying playing football with their mates.

By all means let them go to coaching with professional teams but don't stop them from playing with their mates.

When I was a kid many moons ago the one lad that had been scouted from our team was still able to play Sundays with us has that been stopped now? 

5 minutes ago, YouRams said:

When I was a kid many moons ago the one lad that had been scouted from our team was still able to play Sundays with us has that been stopped now? 

Yes, most clubs will not let you play for other teams.

1 hour ago, YouRams said:

Just noticed a post on Facebook from Burton Junior Football Group Winshill FC advertising their summer gala tournament.

In the post they've said "please - No Scouts - If you turn up with a £1000 donation in cash, you can come in for 1 hour! We have already turned away several local Championship clubs" and another which repeated it but finishes WE have worked hard for OUR club.

Is it just me or does that not sit right? Surely the aim of every grassroots club would be to grow their players with the ultimate reward being those kids get scouted, potentially changing their lifes? I have no involvement in grass roots so could be completely missing something but would like to hear others opinions.

I hear what you're saying...

But if this is a 'fun day' aimed at fundraising, kids enjoying themselves and having a laugh, players playing in different positions, taking turns in net, with no pressure... then maybe coming during 'competitive' matches makes more sense. 

I'm deeply cynical about scouts full stop. 

99% of players will enjoy playing football socially for decades. That's the main driver surely. Kids being convinced to travel miles for a shot in a million and leaving their mates is becoming routine and more 'just in case we miss out' rather than picking out the best of the best to develop them.

6 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I hear what you're saying...

But if this is a 'fun day' aimed at fundraising, kids enjoying themselves and having a laugh, players playing in different positions, taking turns in net, with no pressure... then maybe coming during 'competitive' matches makes more sense. 

I'm deeply cynical about scouts full stop. 

99% of players will enjoy playing football socially for decades. That's the main driver surely. Kids being convinced to travel miles for a shot in a million and leaving their mates is becoming routine and more 'just in case we miss out' rather than picking out the best of the best to develop them.

The clubs would argue they are giving the kids the "Academy Experience" and regardless of whether they make it as a pro, it's a great start in life. For example, I recently read pieces on Jude Bellingham and Phil Foden and discovered that their respective academies paid for them to go to private schools from the age 13. 

1 hour ago, YouRams said:

It's the line "WE have worked hard for OUR club" that stinks.

Any coach worth their salt would be behind the kids doing what THEY want to do, and achieving whatever their own goals are.

The line implies "Hands off. These kids are our exclusive property." 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

The clubs would argue they are giving the kids the "Academy Experience" and regardless of whether they make it as a pro, it's a great start in life. For example, I recently read pieces on Jude Bellingham and Phil Foden and discovered that their respective academies paid for them to go to private schools from the age 13. 

The vast majority are ferried to and fro by parents before being let go. They don't reach the stage where they are being paid to go to private school.

Some parents are just desperate to say their kids 'are at an academy', regardless of their ability and/or potential. 

My kids live and breathe football and always will but they love it for the time with their mates, the excitement of winning,  the pleasure of competing.

Edited by Chester40

31 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

It's the line "WE have worked hard for OUR club" that stinks.

Any coach worth their salt would be behind the kids doing what THEY want to do, and achieving whatever their own goals are.

The line implies "Hands off. These kids are our exclusive property." 

Yeah that's the bit that didn't read well for me but I don't know the person or enough about grassroots to form a judgement so was interested in what people thought. 

My lads at an age he's just starting to take an interest so I completely understand Chester and Gstars comments about taking friendships and the social side away, maybe it's something that needs addressing with the FA and they don't go full time with academies until they reach 12/13.

Does seem a shame they'd be that divide there, not giving them the potential to be seen by scouts. I remember watching my nephew's team a few years back they had a South east Asian kid playing who was unbelievable, his mother didn't speak a word of English so you know wouldn't be able to push him Infront of the people that needed to see him, he's the type of lad that could potentially miss out.

19 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

I’m not sure I’d describe it as “a great start in life”. Provided expectations are set and managed sensibly, it’s a different experience but, for vast majority, that are released a very early stage, it doesn’t give them any sort of advantage in life. In fact, as I say, if expectations aren’t managed correctly (primarily by their parents), I do wonder if it might have a detrimental impact on their development. It must be many parents of young academy players nightmare that their son or daughter really believes their going to make it. Focusing almost entirely on that dream only for that dream to be shattered and then having to pick up the pieces.

although this sounds almost too cruel to be kind, it’s a true story. My wife used to work as a school secretary. At that school, a few years back now, was the son of one of the England goal keeping coaches (who used to be a professional footballer himself of course). When an academy of a high level team invited the son to join them, the father wouldn’t allow it because he knew (or rather thought, as you never know) that his son was never really going to make it.