Thoughts at the end of the season…

We have been in the best form in the division comfortably since that defeat to Stevenage including finishing the last 6 games top of the form table too. 

We went up because of how many matches we won. This might sound obvious but what I mean is there were barely any draws. We either lost or we won and a win and a loss is better than 2 draws… 

We went up because of our defence. It is clear from watching and from the statistics that to succeed next year we need more goals. I’d imagine the recruitment team are aware of this and I’ll be excited to see who we manage to bring in to fill these positions. 

Anyway some interesting tables: 

Image 1 rates us as the best team in the league based on whoscored metrics (along side posh) which shows just how good Pompey were at grinding out results when it wasn’t going their way. 

Image 2 just shows the impressive number of wins be the very high number of losses. I wonder if a team has ever gone up automatically with 10 league losses before? 

Image 3 shows the xG created by all teams. Remember this isn’t saying that we should have scored X goals it is saying that we created chances of the quality that would on average return X goals but again you can see we are down to fifth. 

Final image is the league table from October 29th. Just goes to show that since that very very toxic night in Stevenage we have been an absolute force. Over 2.2 points per game and a goal difference of +35! 

IMG_1665.png

IMG_1666.png

IMG_1667.png

IMG_1668.png

The XG thing suggests we were actually more clinical than you'd think and that creating the chances was the issue not taking them. I'm not sure what % of our goals came from set pieces and whether they have a lower expected goal in the XG model maybe, that could be skewing things a bit because we didn't seem to be very clinical at times.

The thing I noticed from last seasons table is Ipswich finished 2nd but they scored 101 goals vs 80 odd for Plymouth and Sheff Wednesday and they had the best defence too. They drew way too many games and should probably have walked the league last season. Our goals scored this season is less than Sheff Wednesday or Plymouth managed and they've both been in a struggle this season. Our defence looks good this season but is the same as what Sheff Wednesday conceded last season and slightly worse than Ipswich. Its a small sample but you'd definitely say from the GD we're looking at a Plymouth/Sheff Wednesday type  of season without significant squad improvement.  

8 minutes ago, TheTinMan said:

The XG thing suggests we were actually more clinical than you'd think and that creating the chances was the issue not taking them. I'm not sure what % of our goals came from set pieces and whether they have a lower expected goal in the XG model maybe, that could be skewing things a bit because we didn't seem to be very clinical at times.

The thing I noticed from last seasons table is Ipswich finished 2nd but they scored 101 goals vs 80 odd for Plymouth and Sheff Wednesday and they had the best defence too. They drew way too many games and should probably have walked the league last season. Our goals scored this season is less than Sheff Wednesday or Plymouth managed and they've both been in a struggle this season. Our defence looks good this season but is the same as what Sheff Wednesday conceded last season and slightly worse than Ipswich. Its a small sample but you'd definitely say from the GD we're looking at a Plymouth/Sheff Wednesday type  of season without significant squad improvement.  

I think we’re in a slightly different position to those 2 clubs. Plymouth had to spend a chunk to just be as good as before due to loan players being crucial for their promotion. Sheff also didn’t seem to release as many of us and they had a manager change which would have messed up some recruitment plans.

Im hoping we’ve had lists upon lists of available and suitable players for if we went up drawn up since September and we’ve been scouting and fine tuning those lists since.

Post Stevenage, yes something gave and we started to dominate the league, fortunately given the league's so shi... (senses a side eye from Mucker1884),  ahem so inconsistent, it was only Portsmouth that got too far ahead and credit to them for getting the job done.

We did well, so pleased it's the autos as we can either get work done early with most of the team in place for July 1st or spend the next 3 months negotiating with the "stand up and honourable" owners of Cardiff over Ebou and then rush for who's left in late August .