Football Fraudster

Gee SCREAMER !!

Just watched a documentary on this guy. Half hour in appears he was with us for a couple of years on 200k a year.  A- We had to be involved somewhere of course.  B-  4K a week under the American owners.  No wonder we wound up skint if that was prudent.

We had an old thread suggesting he cost over a million.  Can't even remember him.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/4557301.abalimba-joins-derby/

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/ex-rams-player-seduced-thierry-5996251

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I remember the signing, but I don't think he ever played. Maybe a couple of appearances at most. I wish an ex player could tell us a bit more about his time at Derby. It's always frustrating when these articles pop up because they, understandably, focus on his crimes rather than his brief football career. I can't shake the feeling that he's lying about what he was paid here. He was signed for the development squad, not the first team, whilst GSE were busy cutting costs. He claims to have "become accustomed to a certain lifestyle" as a pro footballer. How? He played for Southend and our reserves. Roots Hall isn't exactly glamorous. I love that he managed to convince Henry's ex that he was a Navy Seal. It'd make a good documentary if a genuine Seal got hold of him. They take a dim view of stolen valour.

Also, just because he was a fraudster doesn't mean he wasn't a potentially good footballer. The suggestion is somehow that Derby were duped but his contract was likely based on footballing ability.

I know that Graeme Sounness got scammed into playing Ali Dia (on reflection, off thread, just how amazing is it that a manager would put a player into a top flight fixture without having seen them kick a ball) but it seems here he was simply a good footballer who happened to be a crook as well.

A bit like the Tinder Swindler, I continue to be astounded at the ability of some people to allow themselves to be parted with their (or in the case of Claire Henry, her husband's) money. It's mad how daft some people can be.