The 2024 Motorsports Thread

On 15/09/2024 at 21:32, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'd agree overall with the stewards decision that the Sainz and Perez crash was a racing incident, however it would've been real easy for Checo to avoid it - sometimes it's better to finish in P4, but, hey, that's racing.

Great drive from piastri.

Great day for McLaren overall.

Blinding day for Williams.

Hilariously bad day for red bull.

The Baku track looks and feels like it should suck but has a knack of throwing up eventful races.

If you put the Baku track in Monaco, it would have the best of both worlds.

Though I do love that castle section in Baku, almost as much as the tunnel section and the corners before and after in Monaco...

I hate it when street circuits throw up good races. Just encourages more of them. 

Vegas last year when everyone was like “Ha! All the haters said we wouldn’t have a good race”

As a hater, that was hard to take. 
But I don’t know how anyone can defend Monaco. It’s barely watchable after you’ve seen qualifying. This year was where it was about how slow you could go without losing too much heat. That’s awful for spectators 

50 minutes ago, Alph said:

I hate it when street circuits throw up good races. Just encourages more of them. 

Vegas last year when everyone was like “Ha! All the haters said we wouldn’t have a good race”

As a hater, that was hard to take. 
But I don’t know how anyone can defend Monaco. It’s barely watchable after you’ve seen qualifying. This year was where it was about how slow you could go without losing too much heat. That’s awful for spectators 

I feel you.

I do have a soft spot for Monaco, although that is based more on "everything but the race" - they could have the race in F3 cars with no constructors points, but drivers championship points and it wouldn't lose anything. For me the utter unsuitability is part of the uniqueness of Monaco (as a once a year one off) - but we do not need to encourage more street races.

The thing about Las Vegas last year is the multibillion dollar sport of F1 didn't really appreciate the a desert at night in winter isn't "hot" leading to weird tyre behaviour, I bet this year it sucks hard.