Platini opposed to goal-line technology

Day

Uefa president Michel Platini believes goal-line technology would lead to "Playstation football".

Fifa has reopened discussions on the subject but Platini said an assistant behind each goal and greater respect for referees were the solutions.

"The referee has to be helped by clubs, fans, players, media and authorities," he told the Scottish Football Association's website.

"It is why we have added two assistants for Champions League games."

Last week the International Football Association Board (IFAB), Fifa's rulemaking division, asked technology companies to present ideas by the end of November.

Systems would then be tested in advance of the IFAB meeting in March, when the next stages of the process of implementation would be discussed.

But Platini said on a visit to Glasgow that an extra pair of eyes behind each goal, as is the case in this season's Champions League, is the logical answer.

"One referee is not enough, not in the modern era where you have 20 cameras," stated Platini, who became Uefa president in 2006.

"It is unfair - the cameras can see everything but the referee only has one pair of eyes. Every time he makes a mistake, those cameras are there to focus on it.

"It is why for the past 10 years I have asked to change the job of the referee, to help improve the situation and to give the referees better support.

"These people are going to make mistakes and to be a referee I think you have to be a masochist. The system is bad and I have known this for 40 years.

"It is a logical step with so many cameras that can pick up incidents: the more eyes there to assist the referee, the better the chance of spotting those incidents."

Fifa scrapped goal-line technology experiments in 2008 after deciding systems that worked in other sports - such as the Hawk-Eye innovation used in tennis and cricket - were unsuitable for football.

Fifa also tested a system using a microchip in the ball but decided it was too complicated and also lacked sufficient accuracy.

But after recent incidents, such as the Frank Lampard strike that was not given as a goal in England's 4-1 World Cup loss to Germany in June, despite clearly crossing the line, Fifa decided to take another look at possible solutions.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter said it would be "a nonsense not to reopen the file" on technology and referred the matter to the IFAB.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9124497.stm

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't agree with electronic aid at all. A lot of the game's history and popularity is based on the human element and the controversy that goes with it; long may it continue. Cricket is seriously suffering imo.

totally agree, cricket games without referrals are so much better. The problem only occurs when officials are totally inept, Attwell and the Lampard ref style

Technophobes!

Football needs technology now, forget the controversy when a team scores a goal it needs to be given. How long did it take us at home to clearly see that Lampards "goal" did cross the line?...matter of seconds.

Forget putting microchips into footballs just give the 4th official a TV screen in front of him that he can say "hey up ref that was a goal you clown", or "yes both feet left the ground as he broke that chaps leg".

I don't think we should allow the players to say hey up can we ask the 4th official every 5 minutes, the 4th official should be held responsible for alerting the ref.

I'm sure if Derby were at Wembley against Forest in the play off final and the game is 0-0, we score in the 89th minute but the ref doesn't give it and Forest win on penalties...you would change your mind about technology pretty quickly.

Technophobes!

Football needs technology now, forget the controversy when a team scores a goal it needs to be given. How long did it take us at home to clearly see that Lampards "goal" did cross the line?...matter of seconds.

Forget putting microchips into footballs just give the 4th official a TV screen in front of him that he can say "hey up ref that was a goal you clown", or "yes both feet left the ground as he broke that chaps leg".

I don't think we should allow the players to say hey up can we ask the 4th official every 5 minutes, the 4th official should be held responsible for alerting the ref.

I'm sure if Derby were at Wembley against Forest in the play off final and the game is 0-0, we score in the 89th minute but the ref doesn't give it and Forest win on penalties...you would change your mind about technology pretty quickly.

But then imagine if we had goal-line technology in '66 and Hurst's 2nd was disallowed and we went on to lose the world cup final; works both ways ;)

Obviously at times it could go against you but then if it is a goal then surely the opposition deserve it.

I'd be far more pissed off if we had no technology, scored a goal that wasn't given that would of won us promotion or saved us from relegation, than having the technology and gone down by the one goal that went 2 inch over the line.

If a goal is scored be it 1cm over the line or smashing the back of the net it needs to be given.

Obviously at times it could go against you but then if it is a goal then surely the opposition deserve it.

I'd be far more pissed off if we had no technology, scored a goal that wasn't given that would of won us promotion or saved us from relegation, than having the technology and gone down by the one goal that went 2 inch over the line.

If a goal is scored be it 1cm over the line or smashing the back of the net it needs to be given.

These decisions balance themselves out over time.

I'm all for having the officials behind the goals, but goal-line technology is a bridge too far for me.

These decisions balance themselves out over time.

I'm all for having the officials behind the goals, but goal-line technology is a bridge too far for me.

They wouldn't need to be balanced as they would be balanced automatically, you score a goal it's given, you don't it's not.

An official behind the goal is all well and good for spotting fouls in the area but when it comes to deciding if a ball has crossed the line or not then they are still next to useless, he could blink and miss a key decision.

With my suggestion of a 4th official with a TV screen in front of him uses the best of both worlds, your still relying on the officials to do the job whilst using technology.

Technology is used in Tennis, Cricket, Rugby, Snooker, Athletics, why not football? it's crazy bad.

You wouldn't be breaking up play at all, watch how long it takes for the ref to tell the players to sharrup and get on with the game. The ref would be told in his ear in a matter of seconds and the players would probably respect the refs more as a result.

I don't understand why people are against it. You wouldn't be breaking up play if you only used it for goals.

Lots of reasons - here's a starter:

Play-off semi-final, last minute - Ball hits the bar, bounces near the line, ref doesn't give it, cue V.T, other team go down the other end and score, cue huge celebration, but wait.....the ref gets the nod that the ball went over the line at the other end and gives the goal at the other end of the pitch. Absurd.

Lots of reasons - here's a starter:

Play-off semi-final, last minute - Ball hits the bar, bounces near the line, ref doesn't give it, cue V.T, other team go down the other end and score, cue huge celebration, but wait.....the ref gets the nod that the ball went over the line at the other end and gives the goal at the other end of the pitch. Absurd.

When the ref sees it though with technology you'd stop the action and find out whether it was a goal or not.

If he thinks it's a goal for sure, he can give it. If he thinks it's not a goal for sure, he can carry on. But even if he has the smallest doubt that it was/wasn't, he could stop play and find out.

Simple.

Ahhh but if we went down the full technology route and installed a microchip in the ball and goalposts the ref would be alerted instantly that it was a goal.

Still use my idea in conjunction tho as it's a great idea :)

Ahhh but if we went down the full technology route and installed a microchip in the ball and goalposts the ref would be alerted instantly that it was a goal.

Still use my idea in conjunction tho as it's a great idea :)

Yep, if we go down that route then I think that a microchip is the only solution; play cannot be allowed to halt.

Archived