Thoughts From The Game

EastKentRam

Poor performance against a millwall side that had clearly done their homework. Gave us no room in the middle and encouraged us to cross, which we did and from far to deep. With kuqi the only one with any chance of winning it in the air and him looking very uninterested, this was never guna work. None of the front 4 had good games, Green and Kuqi being especially poor. Barker had our only clear cut chance from a corner, he should have scored. Barker and moxey made mistakes at the back. We deserved nothing and that's what we got, lack of any idea or craft. I fear sides doing similar to what millwall did today and we wont know what to do.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wasn't impressed with fielding. Seems to spend far too much of his time out of his box. I will look again on the TV highlights but I think he was too far forward when they scored their first goal.

But they did us tactically today.

Sunds about as bad as the Sheffield utd game at our place,from what I'm reading. Surprised clough didn't stick with Moore up front though thought he did well at donny.

Who stood out today then? As I had to listen on the radio

Agreed, think Moore for away games, and kqui is more suited at PP

Sunds about as bad as the Sheffield utd game at our place,from what I'm reading. Surprised clough didn't stick with Moore up front though thought he did well at donny.

Who stood out today then? As I had to listen on the radio

Kuqi and Green stood out as being utter sh*te, cant remember Kuqi winning anything in the air all game. Green constantly lost possession, should have started Cywka on the right. Bueno and Commons tried to create but never managed anything. Dont think anyone stood out for having a decent game, Brayford seemed quite solid from what i can remember but that's about it.

Shefki won very little against Preston.

Starting to look like we need to keep looking for a striker.

We will also need to find a new leader on the pitch.

Who plays for Croatia these days?

Shittu had Kuqi in his pocket all game in the same way that Darren Moore had many strikers in his pocket during games in our promotion season, that didn't make those players poor players just ineffective in those games, many of them had very successful seasons despite not performing against us. Don't write Kuqi off just because a player who is very good at this level had an effective game against him.

It is very hard to pick-out a Derby player who had a good game, they were all below their best and all credit to Millwall who put in a high energy performance constantly closing our team down and not giving us any room to play our normal game. We did seem to lack a plan B, it with Shittu nullifying Kuqi we had no outlet upfront and the three playing off him couldn't get a sniff as Millwall packed the midfield. Personally I would have brought Moore on for Bueno, Pringle (in the absence of Martin) on for Green and Anderson for Savage at 45 and gone for it in the second half with 4-4-2 as Millwall didn't seem to be set-up to counter that formation.

What we learnt - opposition will do their homework and we need to be able to change things during the game. I'm a big Savage fan and think he offers us plenty of good things but yesterday I was disappointed to see him not trying to make changes during the play as a captain, especially one with his experience, should. Everything cannot be left to the manager; the players have to take some ownership too.

One positive - I do like the look of the new Leacock, gone has the silly hair and he appears to have bulked out a little. He is, at last, concentrating on defending and taking the easy option rather than trying to be Franz Beckenbauer, we have gone a couple of games now without his obligatory stupid errors which is a really positive sign. Clough may yet be able to make him into the player he has threatened to be, let's hope it isn't just a blip....

Shittu had Kuqi in his pocket all game in the same way that Darren Moore had many strikers in his pocket during games in our promotion season, that didn't make those players poor players just ineffective in those games, many of them had very successful seasons despite not performing against us. Don't write Kuqi off just because a player who is very good at this level had an effective game against him.

It is very hard to pick-out a Derby player who had a good game, they were all below their best and all credit to Millwall who put in a high energy performance constantly closing our team down and not giving us any room to play our normal game. We did seem to lack a plan B, it with Shittu nullifying Kuqi we had no outlet upfront and the three playing off him couldn't get a sniff as Millwall packed the midfield. Personally I would have brought Moore on for Bueno, Pringle (in the absence of Martin) on for Green and Anderson for Savage at 45 and gone for it in the second half with 4-4-2 as Millwall didn't seem to be set-up to counter that formation.

What we learnt - opposition will do their homework and we need to be able to change things during the game. I'm a big Savage fan and think he offers us plenty of good things but yesterday I was disappointed to see him not trying to make changes during the play as a captain, especially one with his experience, should. Everything cannot be left to the manager; the players have to take some ownership too.

One positive - I do like the look of the new Leacock, gone has the silly hair and he appears to have bulked out a little. He is, at last, concentrating on defending and taking the easy option rather than trying to be Franz Beckenbauer, we have gone a couple of games now without his obligatory stupid errors which is a really positive sign. Clough may yet be able to make him into the player he has threatened to be, let's hope it isn't just a blip....

Cracking post !!!

- and yes, there should always be a Plan B, and even Plan C, D, E :)

Blackpool were similarly out-witted by Brum yesterday.

I agree with you about Kuqi, Shittu did a number on him completely and for most of the second half he appeared to be looking at the bench wanting to come off, and I actually think he was disappointed when Moore came on and it wasn't him going off!

Problem on Saturday was that Millwall had a game plan based on a quick start, closing down all over the pitch and being as physical as they could get away with, especially on Bueno, who got a kick or a shove in the back every 5 mins.

As others have said on the forum they won't be the last team to do that to us this season and we're going to need to find a way to counter it. I think we have players with the heart to stand up to the physical stuff, the main issue at Millwall was the sheer size of some of their team. The lad Trotter in the middle looks like Huddlestone's big brother, and continually just knocked Green off the ball. He can play a bit as well, and looks a decent player at this level. One antidote to that though will be the return of Addison, who would have changed the game for us.

I was impressed that we still tried to play football, and for the last 20 mins of the first half we did look good and were unfortunate with the final ball. It's the first game I've been to this season and some of the passing, albeit in very short spells, was great to see.

The other problem we had was just basic poor defending. We lined up with Barker (who had a poor game I thought) against their number 25, who is big and quick and pulled him all over the place, leaving their number 20 continually in space just behind him, and he won the second ball every time. This happened all game and Leacock never wised up to it. In that situation either Leacock needs to wake up and get close to their number 20, or if he's not going to manage that then they should switch and leave Leacock to have the physical battle and Barker to pick up the pieces (which I think would have been better).

A final word on Green, who had a tough game I thought but did keep plugging away and made some vital challenges at times. He also looked a lot better when Savage went off and he moved more central, which makes me think we should have made that switch at half time - at least then we'd be spared another ridiculous Savage blind pass that caused their second goal!

Overall I left the ground relatively optimistic, I've seen 100 worse performances than this over the years in defeats against far worse sides than Millwall, and there are a lot of positives to take away - we have some good players, we have a system and a style of play that we're sticking to, and we can play some good stuff. There will be more defeats against teams that line up like this against us but I think Clough will work out how to get around this, and I personally believe Addison in the middle could be the answer

Archived