Derby County v Northampton Town: Player Ratings

Ellafella

17 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Half-marks allowed; please rate all subs. Closes Thursday @ 18:00. Results by Thursday 22:00. Average is 6.00. Therefore, when a sub steps on the pitch he is on 6 - that's the baseline. Also indicate ATG (at the game) or TV (Tv).

1Wildsmith - 6 another night off at PP for Joe

24Nyambe - 7 brilliant defender, get him signed up for longer

23Ward - 6.5

35Nelson - 8 absolute rock

5Bradley - 7.5 more like it Sonny

3Forsyth - 7 steady performance

4Hourihane - 7.5 touches of quality

22Fornah  - 7 good cameo

12Smith - 7.5 lot of the dirty work, goes unnoticed

7Barkhuizen - 7.5 back to his best

8Bird 🦅  - 9 majestic

39Brown - 6

11Méndez-Laing - 8 constant threat

16Wilson  - 6

14Washington - 8 top drawer performance

9Collins  - 5.5

ATG

1Wildsmith 7 spectator

24Nyambe 7 solid.........better going forward as well last night

23Ward 7  really added some impetus......desperately wanted the ball

35Nelson 7 solid

5Bradley 8 really good game. Unclear whether his excellent passes through the middle, on the deck, were his choice or PW's instructions. Harsh to have a pop at Cashin for long aimless hoofs before we know what instructions were

3Forsyth 7.5 really good game

4Hourihane 7 got away with a few poor passes first half but generally very good. 

22Fornah 6   did OK in the customary game of post-sub position roulette

12Smith 6.5  did OK

7Barkhuizen 7.5 very, very good for an hour then faded a bit when moved to the left

8Bird 🦅  8.5 excellent

39Brown 6  would have been interesting to see him as the first sub for Washington playing in a team that was purring and knew its positions

11Méndez-Laing 7 very good

16Wilson 6 did OK

14Washington 8 very good. Eating small portion of humble pie today.

9Collins 6 missed a sitter but did OK. moved to a 10 to accommodate Brown, which isn't his best position but some nice link up play. 

29 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

ATG

1Wildsmith 7 spectator

24Nyambe 7 solid.........better going forward as well last night

23Ward 7  really added some impetus......desperately wanted the ball

35Nelson 7 solid

5Bradley 8 really good game. Unclear whether his excellent passes through the middle, on the deck, were his choice or PW's instructions. Harsh to have a pop at Cashin for long aimless hoofs before we know what instructions were

3Forsyth 7.5 really good game

4Hourihane 7 got away with a few poor passes first half but generally very good. 

22Fornah 6   did OK in the customary game of post-sub position roulette

12Smith 6.5  did OK

7Barkhuizen 7.5 very, very good for an hour then faded a bit when moved to the left

8Bird 🦅  8.5 excellent

39Brown 6  would have been interesting to see him as the first sub for Washington playing in a team that was purring and knew its positions

11Méndez-Laing 7 very good

16Wilson 6 did OK

14Washington 8 very good. Eating small portion of humble pie today.

9Collins 6 missed a sitter but did OK. moved to a 10 to accommodate Brown, which isn't his best position but some nice link up play. 

Great comments as always @Ian Buxton's Bat and you have identified a key FACTOR for me which is the kernal of the Warne-Ball debate: we saw a transformed Derby last night; Bradley's passes through the lines (circa 35-40 yards to midfield) and other players' passes (quick, one-touch, give & go) were reminiscent of the MAC#1 era. So, why suddenly do we see those? Is it:

1. Simply because Northampton stood off, gave us space and time in which to play whereas other teams don't.

2. A change of instruction from Warne to Team to play differently (ie proper football not Hoofball).

3. Some other reason ie the players just spontaneously started to behave like a good football team.  

If 2, did David Clowes have any influence ie Did he say something like "The Derby footballing public are very knowledgeable football set and won't really tolerate 45 yard punts from Cashin into "air-space . Also, you perhaps ought to think about younger players coming through an academy which costs £5M a year to run and maybe start to show some intent (ie Brown needs some encouragement). 

I'm using a bit of poetic license here with the DC thing and not trying to provoke mischief but I'd like to think it's No. 2 because I can't bear industrial football (ie Charles Hughes Manual); suspect #1 has a part in it but really do hope this is the start of a pattern. 

We looked like a team with desire and finesse last night - was it a one-off in your view?  

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Great comments as always @Ian Buxton's Bat and you have identified a key FACTOR for me which is the kernal of the Warne-Ball debate: we saw a transformed Derby last night; Bradley's passes through the lines (circa 35-40 yards to midfield) and other players' passes (quick, one-touch, give & go) were reminiscent of the MAC#1 era. So, why suddenly do we see those? Is it:

1. Simply because Northampton stood off, gave us space and time in which to play whereas other teams don't.

2. A change of instruction from Warne to Team to play differently (ie proper football not Hoofball).

3. Some other reason ie the players just spontaneously started to behave like a good football team.  

If 2, did David Clowes have any influence ie Did he say something like "The Derby footballing public are very knowledgeable football set and won't really tolerate 45 yard punts from Cashin into "air-space . Also, you perhaps ought to think about younger players coming through an academy which costs £5M a year to run and maybe start to show some intent (ie Brown needs some encouragement). 

I'm using a bit of poetic license here with the DC thing and not trying to provoke mischief but I'd like to think it's No. 2 because I can't bear industrial football (ie Charles Hughes Manual); suspect #1 has a part in it but really do hope this is the start of a pattern. 

We looked like a team with desire and finesse last night - was it a one-off in your view?  

My view is that number 1 was probably a factor but it was probably largely number 2........no idea if influenced by DC but possibly influenced by a mid-match serenade of "your football is sh1te" at Stevenage.

If it was number 3, with players playing hoofball against orders in other games, I would have expected to have seen PW going absolutely beserk on the side-lines in the first halves at Shrewsbury and Stevenage and telling the midfielders to make themselves available for passes......and he wasn't as far as I could see.

The other possible mitigating factor is the size of pitch.......I've no idea if the last two away games were on tiny pitches but I can just about understand a slightly different approach if you absolutely KNOW it's going to be congested.

1 minute ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

My view is that number 1 was probably a factor but it was probably largely number 2........no idea if influenced by DC but possibly influenced by a mid-match serenade of "your football is sh1te" at Stevenage.

If it was number 3, with players playing hoofball against orders in other games, I would have expected to have seen PW going absolutely beserk on the side-lines in the first halves at Shrewsbury and Stevenage and telling the midfielders to make themselves available for passes......and he wasn't as far as I could see.

The other possible mitigating factor is the size of pitch.......I've no idea if the last two away games were on tiny pitches but I can just about understand a slightly different approach if you absolutely KNOW it's going to be congested.

Lovely; and I agree. Thanks.