Phil Brown

Very interesting. I've always acknowledged that Brown was working under incredibly difficult circumstances at Derby, but that doesn't exonerate him for some of the bafflingly poor decisions he made whilst he was here.

It's intriguing to hear his take on Burley shutting down the academy. I have to say it seems a bit far fetched to me to jump to the conclusion that Burley neglected the academy out of spite because of some power struggle with Terry Westley. The club didn't have two pennies to rub together, so to me it's entirely more plausible that shutting the academy was a cost cutting measure. Then there's the rather large disconnect between Phil Brown crowing about how much he valued the academy, whilst ignoring 2 home grown England U21 'keepers in favour of Kevin Poole and selling Marcus Tudgay for a bag of magic beans whilst playing Dean Holdsworth up front.

I'd also be fascinated to hear which player Murdo Mackay signed during Brown's tenure that impressed him to the point of thinking there must be something dodgy going on. There's no doubt Mackay had that type of deal in him, as he signed Bisgaard, Idiakez, and Rasiak the previous season, but who is Brown talking about? Did he consider Paul Thirwell to be an unbelievable signing?

53 minutes ago, Anon said:

I'd also be fascinated to hear which player Murdo Mackay signed during Brown's tenure that impressed him to the point of thinking there must be something dodgy going on. There's no doubt Mackay had that type of deal in him, as he signed Bisgaard, Idiakez, and Rasiak the previous season, but who is Brown talking about? Did he consider Paul Thirwell to be an unbelievable signing?

I would say Marc Edworthy, as well as (like Brown mentioned) Darren Moore.