Has football become too dirty?

derbydan

FULHAM skipper Danny Murphy has launched a remarkable verbal assault on reckless and aggressive behaviour on the pitch.

Picking out three particular clubs for special mention, he said: "Stoke, Blackburn and Wolves, you can say they're doing what they can to win the game."

Several players, such as Bobby Zamora and Hatem Ben Arfa have had their legs broken. And this season alone, Wolves, officially the Premier League's dirtiest team, have racked up 114 fouls, collected 20 yellow cards and two reds.

Is this a case of players being too aggressive? Or is this a mountain made from a molehill?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what a load of ******** if he's moaning about the game today he should thank his lucky stars he didn't play when football was a proper mans game, none of this fannying around like the jumped up over paid fairy boys they are today. :mad:

what a load of ******** if he's moaning about the game today he should thank his lucky stars he didn't play when football was a proper mans game, none of this fannying around like the jumped up over paid fairy boys they are today. :mad:

classic!

i love you more and more with every post you write! xxx:D

Its absolute PC gone mad tosh, why, when I was a lad, you'd have Ron "chopper" Harris, Norman "bite yer legs Hunter, and Tommy "benefit cheat" Smith trying to cut you in half.

To say, like Danny Murphy is, that Stoke, Blackburn and Wolves, are deliberately going out to hurt opponents is outrageous and totally unfounded.

Blackburn and Wolves should sue....:D

Agreed. Footballers get far too much protection as it is. The art of tackling is dead.

Agreed. Footballers get far too much protection as it is. The art of tackling is dead.

It isn't the art of tackling that is dead it's over the top tackles that are deliberate that are causing the damage, It is not helped by the referees (Stuart Atwell being a prime example) who have never played the game in earnest therefore not being able to spot how dangerous that particular tackle is, mistake or otherwise. Send off any player who attempts an over-the-top tackle even if there is no contact made, that would help to reduce the number of broken legs! :mad:

Footballs more or less a non-contact sport nowadays due to players hitting the deck at every little contact from an opponent.

I agree that referees know the rules of the game but they don't actually know the game itself,if you know what I mean.

When I started watching football you more or less had to kill someone to get sent off but nowadays it seems that a red card is compulsory in most matches.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived