Home brew

Boycie

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't buy tins, get crushed malt and a mash tun/baby Burco boiler. Much better results.

If you're serious about your brewing give me a shout. When I had time I made 12 gallons at a time and it was bloody good.

Nice one, I have a mash tun and is a very enjoyable and satisfying way of brewing.

Seen the kits on line with the gas bottles on top and the floats that take the beer off the top.

Any online outlet links would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Always remember my dads home brew in the outside toilet, never had any, but heard from the neighbours that it was good stuff.

Think his was from the tin, John Bull?

The health food shop in Spondon used to be very good, the pharmacy on the top of King street Belper sells bits and bobs too.

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/index.html

http://www.art-of-brewing.co.uk/

'The big book of brewing' and 'brewing beers like those you buy' are very good books on the subject the latter was on sale in Belper pharmacy the last time I went in.

I made a 'Directors' from 'brewing beers...' and it was spot on!!

Its not unknown to brew 10 gallons of Sarsons finest :)

You can use the tins if you want, but its not as much fun as mashing. I'd recommend you boil the extract & water if you can (big pan on the gas stove if you can manage it - I put two electric kettle elements in a 15 gallon bucket, but I don't need to point out the risk of making your own electric kettle). Let it cool significantly before you add the yeast or you kill it.

Tips: buy some hops and a hop bag and boil in there. An ounce of fuggles or goldings boiled for an hour for bitterness will give it an authentic bitter taste. If the recipe says add a kilo of sugar, add another tin of malt extract instead.

Good luck Boycie. You can make cheap beer easy, but if you get into it you'll make great beer slowly and at a bit of expense. Depends what you want.

i've sneaky feeling he wants to get larlared...hopefully the more classy non white lightening way;):D

Archived