are football fans taken advantage of?

Leeds Ram

do you think football fans are taken advantage of by not just this club but by most or every club, example: new shirt every season where it's supposed to be a new shirt every 2 or 3 seasons, membership, people paying 25 quid to get in line first, many season ticket holders may buy it for peace of mind to get big game tickets as it were, what do you think?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Football is no longer just a sport, it's a business first and sport second. As with any business the aim is to make money. I blame the bigger clubs personally, Chelsea and that Russian tosser can take alot of that. When a Premiership player can demand £100k pw it has a knock on effect down the leagues. Fans want the players, the players want the money, the club needs to make the money to pay the players, who foots the bill?.

but i think like new shirts ect, if you have kids it is essentially emotional blackmail by the club to bring out a new shirt because then the kids see it and instantly want it, i personally think like membership for example is blackmail saying well if you stump up an extra 25 quid you have first refusal where as if you don't you are taking a gamble.

Clubs need the income to survive, if you owned a football club and Mr Adidas came knocking saying...look your contract is up with the Puma or whoever, we will offer you X amount of money to make your shirts and we want to bring new kits out every season for the duration of the contract.

What are you going to say?

It all comes down to money at the end of the day and football is only going to get more expensive as the years go on, is it fair? probably not, but what is fair these days?

Smokers have seen the price of fags rocket over the last 10 years, the same as alcohol, the same as petrol, household bills etc.

Also don't forget VAT is set to go up 2.5% so your match tickets, shirts, half time burger, matchday programme will be even more expensive from January 4th.

I think fans allow themselves to be taken advantage of, to be honest. For every Man Utd fan who has ditched their season ticket and gone to watch FC, or just plain not bothered, there's 10 queueing up behind him to pay through the nose.

So we are our own worst enemy.

It'll come to a head at some point as you can't keep on going spending at the pace football is doing without it seriously coming a cropper. Which is why I like the current outlook for us - we'll quietly aim to keep afloat, keep financially solvent, and when the **** hits the fan, we should be in a great position.

lol, i agree that we do allow ourselves to be taken advantage of but it shouldn't happen, also daveo in regard to that point, things like alcohol ect have gone up because it's inherently bad for you and the enviroment thus trying to put people off, or pay a heavy price for it, football isn't in this category

lol, i agree that we do allow ourselves to be taken advantage of but it shouldn't happen, also daveo in regard to that point, things like alcohol ect have gone up because it's inherently bad for you and the enviroment thus trying to put people off, or pay a heavy price for it, football isn't in this category

Footballs bad for you, apparently it makes you moan like an old fart even as early as 16.

Yes.

We know we are being taken advantage of as fans but we still love the sport.

I want to watch Sky Sports, buy FIFA 11, spend money on match tickets and replica shirts because I like it.

I'm hooked. I know I'm feeding people's pockets but I'm addicted.

It's just like Britain's love of alcohol and cigarettes.

Archived