joe cole to the bin dippers

derbydan

Liverpool have swooped to secure the services of England international Joe Cole on a four-year deal, subject to a medical.

The talented midfielder became a free agent at the start of the month when his contract with Chelsea expired with the Blues electing not to extend his seven-year stay at Stamford Bridge.

New Reds boss Roy Hodgson claimed at the weekend that he had not held talks with the former West Ham player, but the deal has now been concluded.

Cole moved to Chelsea from Upton Park in a £6.6million switch in the summer of 2003 but was shown the door with the Blues not willing to meet his wage demands.

The 28-year-old has three Premier League winners' medals to show from his time in West London and also helped Chelsea to two FA Cup successes.

Creative

Cole was part of Fabio Capello's England squad for the dismal World Cup display in South Africa this summer but was restricted to a bit-part role as the Three Lions crashed out in the second round with a 4-1 humbling by Germany.

Hodgson will hope Cole's ability to unlock defences will help the Reds climb back into the UEFA Champions League reckoning following their disappointing seventh-place finish last term.

The creative Cole has rejected advances from rival Premier League teams - including those who could offer Champions League football this season - to compete in the Europa League with the Reds.

A statement on the club's official website read: "Liverpool FC are delighted to confirm the signing of Joe Cole on a four-year deal.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man City and Arsenal rotate the squad around all the time, Liverpool and Spurs he would command a first team place and to be fair if I was given a choice of Spurs or Liverpool I know I'd be up North in a flash.

Thought the 'pool were potless?

100k-ish a week on a 4 year deal, £20m investment in Cole. He's a quality player I know, but for a club in huge debt? He'll be hard to sell on (unless he's either took a huge pay cut from what he reportedly wanted at Chelsea, or takes a big cut to move clubs) and with a 4 year contract he's set to be an expensive luxury for a while.

Man City and Arsenal rotate the squad around all the time, Liverpool and Spurs he would command a first team place and to be fair if I was given a choice of Spurs or Liverpool I know I'd be up North in a flash.

Wrong again,Spurs have both Modric and Krancjaer,and Cole isnt better than them two,especially Modric.

I say I'm correct, had Joe Cole gone to Spurs he would have been a first team starter. To sign him they would of had to match or better Liverpools 100k pw offer, if they had you don't pay someone 100k to sit on the bench. Joe Cole would of been a first team regular.

No he wouldnt,he would never get in before Modric.If Cole was guaranteed first team football at Spurs,he would have gone there.London team,his ex manager and champions league football.

Instead he has moved to a dump of an area,playing europa league with a team who will struggle to get in the top four again.

Spurs are in the Champions League this season but how long till there knocked out? despite what you think about Liverpool the club is massive compared to Spurs. New English manager in charge, playing alongside Gerrard, it's an obvious choice of clubs to go to.

Maybe he fancied a change from playing in London, after all he's spent all his career down there, also Liverpool is no worse than London, yes it has it's bad areas although I doubt he's going to live on a council estate.

Joe Cole would be a first team regular at Spurs, guarenteed.

Harry Redknapp hopes Joe Cole will make sacrifice

Harry Redknapp wants Joe Cole to put first-team football ahead of financial gain when choosing which club to join this summer, writes Tom Collomosse.

Tottenham boss Redknapp is desperate to sign his former pupil, who was released by Chelsea, but wages could prove a stumbling block.

Cole is thought to want between £80,000 and £100,000 a week, whereas Spurs have a ceiling of about £65,000.

"If it is beyond us in financial terms I can appreciate that but I am hoping other factors will come into play to make up Joe's mind," said Redknapp, whose team leave for a short tour of the United States tomorrow.

"I signed Joe for West Ham when he was 11. What makes him tick is his love of the game and his need to be playing it. That is what I am offering him.

"It is now up to the club and up to Joe, his agent and his dad, and our chairman Daniel Levy. He is talking to them to try to do a deal."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23855703-harry-redknapp-hopes-joe-cole-will-make-sacrifice.do

Harry Redknapp hopes Joe Cole will make sacrifice

Harry Redknapp wants Joe Cole to put first-team football ahead of financial gain when choosing which club to join this summer, writes Tom Collomosse.

Tottenham boss Redknapp is desperate to sign his former pupil, who was released by Chelsea, but wages could prove a stumbling block.

Cole is thought to want between £80,000 and £100,000 a week, whereas Spurs have a ceiling of about £65,000.

"If it is beyond us in financial terms I can appreciate that but I am hoping other factors will come into play to make up Joe's mind," said Redknapp, whose team leave for a short tour of the United States tomorrow.

"I signed Joe for West Ham when he was 11. What makes him tick is his love of the game and his need to be playing it. That is what I am offering him.

"It is now up to the club and up to Joe, his agent and his dad, and our chairman Daniel Levy. He is talking to them to try to do a deal."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23855703-harry-redknapp-hopes-joe-cole-will-make-sacrifice.do

Key sentence bolded.

True, and I've just been reading a Spurs forum and a few articles and they are all bitching about the fact he turned down first team football and Champions League football to follow the money.

Sour grapes or what? when fit Joe Coles name will be amoung the first on Liverpools team sheet each week, I also predict that Liverpool will be back in the Champions League next season in place of Spurs.

Plus an extra 40k a week, do you blame him?

Spurs are in the Champions League this season but how long till there knocked out? despite what you think about Liverpool the club is massive compared to Spurs. New English manager in charge, playing alongside Gerrard, it's an obvious choice of clubs to go to.

Maybe he fancied a change from playing in London, after all he's spent all his career down there, also Liverpool is no worse than London, yes it has it's bad areas although I doubt he's going to live on a council estate.

Joe Cole would be a first team regular at Spurs, [sIZE=6]guarenteed[/sIZE].

Quick get z'nazi grammer lot!:D

Archived