Heskey retires from international football

Day

England striker Emile Heskey has announced his retirement from international football.

The 32-year-old was part of England manager Fabio Capello's much-criticised squad at the recent World Cup as they performed poorly in South Africa.

Heskey made his England debut against Hungary on 28 April, 1999 and earned 62 caps, scoring seven goals.

"I have enjoyed every moment of my England career and worn the shirt with pride when selected," he said.

"I would like to thank every manager I have played under, everyone at the FA and the fans for all their support over the years.

"I wish the management team and the playing squad all the best for the future."

Aston Villa forward Heskey was also part of the England squad's at 2002 World Cup as well as the 2000 and 2004 European Championships.

He scored in the group stages against Denmark in the group stages of the 2020 World Cup but failed to score in South Africa after starting against the United States and Algeria before coming on as a substitute against Slovenia and Germany.

Heskey divided opinion with his inclusion in Capello's starting line-up, with critics arguing his ability as a target man were not matched by his finishing ability in front of goal.

And, despite teeing up Steven Gerrard for the opener in the 1-1 draw against the US, he also failed to take a gilt-edged chance to win the game for England late on.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8825280.stm

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived