Eddie Thomas

Normanton Lad

I've just came across the following article about Eddie Thomas's career.  I think some of the older posters might find it interesting. I'd forgotten how old he was in his time at Derby. Ditto players like Gordon Hughes and Billy Hodgson. They were all over 30 when Clough moved them on. 

https://www.toffeeweb.com/season/19-20/comment/history/38708.html

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting read, thanks for the link. I was lucky enough to talk to Tim Ward some years ago and he commented that this signing made his own job far more difficult as the board expected all his subsequent transfers to be so effective and inexpensive. They rarely were, according to him.

My memory may be failing but I'm sure Eddie along with Ray Young who was another ex player both worked for the Co-op Insurance and both of them coming to my house to sell me life insurance.

Ray regularly called at the house to collect my payments.

Probably still got their autographs somewhere.

4 hours ago, Ramsdens said:

Very interesting read, thanks for the link. I was lucky enough to talk to Tim Ward some years ago and he commented that this signing made his own job far more difficult as the board expected all his subsequent transfers to be so effective and inexpensive. They rarely were, according to him.

Remember Tim Ward saying he had to ask the board for permission to put a stamp on a letter. No wonder Cloughie lost patience with them. 

Archived