The Rampage

Geriatram

I am about halfway through. 

There is some interesting content so far, I have particularly enjoyed the article about how they prepared for the challenge of lockdown matches. I found out 20,000 people watched the Millwall fixture on Rams TV for example - something we are always asking about. 

Graphics are a bit rubbish - as some have mentioned - and the quality of the print doesn't feel too good. More black and white photos than colour, the latter often being adverts, which is understandable. I don't think there are too many adverts for the size of magazine.

I have found some of the articles a bit bland, doesn't go into enough depth for me, but hopefully this will improve over time. I haven't read the feature article with Fozzy yet so I am hoping that will be a bit better. For example, I learnt nothing new from the article on the five players breaking through from the academy last season and the photos accompanying this were a bit variable. In fact, a lot of the photos seem slightly out of focus. If you like photos of Wayne Rooney, though, you won't be disappointed - he's everywhere!

I am not sure who is editing, but it definitely needs a better proof reader as there are some basic typos. One of the major contributors seems to have trouble with basic grammar, so that might explain some of that - get someone to cast a second eye over it all, would be my advice. (Maybe that's an age thing, because I get equally annoyed with the BBC website over similar issues!)

Owen Bradley's season review is well-written, although it completely glosses over some of the off field incidents, which did affect how we played, player availability etc. I can understand that there were some issues that cannot be mentioned for legal reasons and that this is the mouthpiece of the club, but I hope the magazine doesn't become too corporate, or it will lose integrity.

So, a promising first attempt for me, plenty of room for improvement. 

More when I have finished it! 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I first started going to matches it was a big deal to pick up a programme as it was part of the experience but also was quite interesting to read articles about the club/players/manager. I think in the age of social media and dedicated club PR teams releasing regular content on the website (player interviews etc) and twitter notifications blah blah that we get much of that content without needing a programme.

I haven't bought a programme in years tbh so I'm not really going to miss it. I used to buy the odd away programme to see what the opposition make of us but these days I just pop onto their fan sites.

I know there are lots of avid collectors out there who will be gutted at this but I guess like newspapers that much of their relevance has gone for many fans so not overly surprising.

I am one of those collectors.

Even going back to the 70s when I was at school I had a subscription to the Ram newspaper and everyone I have is in perfect condition.

Over time it just became a habit to renew every year and when you have so many it just becomes impossible to stop.

The Rampage magazine is fine but there is nothing like flicking through the pages of a match day programme of a game that I went to so many years ago and reliving the memories.

Sorry if I sound like an anorak!!!

My wife says if the house was ever to set on fire I would save the programmes first and come back for her and the kids after.

Archived