2019-20 season assessment.

RamNut

8 hours ago, ShoreRam said:

That's a fabulous example of why you can uses statistics in isolation? You've leapt from aeroplane crashes to the implied conclusion that that aeroplane model is unsafe without understanding determining factors, for example, was the pilot half cut?

Based on no studies, 99% of analogies don't work, probably.

Yes fair point ShoreRam. World wars have been started through inappropriate use of analogies on football fan fora. ?

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 27/07/2020 at 16:43, Ellafella said:

A great analysis @RamNut. Overall, we did well to finish 10th given some of the events that tarnished the great name that Derby County has in football. PC has shown great resilience to have stuck with the task. 
The things that concern me going forward:

1. Playing Style 

2. Our poor discipline. 

Playing Style

Glimpses of fast exciting football but our default is to be slow and ponderous. Is the latter symptomatic of the coaching culture and directly attributable to PC? If so,  PC is the wrong man for the job because that style will not get us out of this division except via the trap door. Jury still out but that is the key factor that is subservient to all other issues. 

Poor Discipline 

This simply has to change. We finished bottom of this table and I would hope to hear PC address this head on. Does it link to a culture that led to Drinkgate? We are not a dirty side but you cannot be an effective unit without a strict moral team code. 

I’d like to see the Club somehow “come together” as one and draw a line over some of the negatives from this season. Perhaps this could be achieved by a virtual “fans’ forum”? 

The youngsters breaking through has been phenomenal. The resurgence of Andre Wisdom very notable and of course CM19 who we know is a great footballer that we need to hang on to. Shinnie is a very good player and he needs to be played regularly.

Next Season?

We need to be seriously challenging the top 6 next season. That is a totally realistic aim for a Club of Derby’s stature. We need a top Goal Keeper and we need to utilise Marriott who clearly has 20 goals in him given a clean bill of health. We need a pacey winger who can give us an alternative outlet. We are not too far away from a very good side but I have doubts about PC’s capacity to fix discipline and I do wonder about the slow and ponderous play. 

A65DCFA6-6B96-4AF9-A779-1274660BC77E.jpeg

From the 'dirtiest' side in the league last season, to the 4th 'cleanest' this season

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/where-preston-north-end-blackburn-bristol-city-rank-shock-dirtiest-teams-championship-table-3033286?page=6

Archived