World Cup General.

Boycie

The French team's World Cup has plunged new depths after the squad refused to train on Sunday.

The squad had been scheduled to take part in a public training session in Knysna, but pulled out at the last minute. A statement by coach Raymond Domenech confirmed that the players' refusal to train was in protest at the decision to send striker Nicolas Anelka home from South Africa.

Anelka was sent home after reports emerged that he had insulted coach Raymond Domenech at half time during the 2-0 defeat to Mexico on Thursday.

In the wake of the aborted training session, Jean-Louis Valentin, the French Football Federation's delegate attached to the squad in South Africa, announced his resignation.

"The players have refused to train," Valentin told the media. "It's a disgrace. Under these circumstances I am returning to Paris and resigning."

Speaking to ITV Sport, former France international Patrick Vieira said the situation was "a mess".

"I think the manager has lost control of the team," Vieira said.

Meanwhile fellow Frenchman Marcel Desailly lamented the team's ill discipline.

"It's a shame because we love that generation," Desailly said. "They had huge potential, but it's really sad."

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/fifaworldcup/news/franceinturmoil/?utm_source=sendible&utm_medium=feed

--------------------------------------------------------

Oh dear, oh dear and we think we have it bad with England.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit of an odd WC this time round. I know there's always some upsets, but there feels to be a few more than you'd expect.

First game, Mexico held to a draw by South Africa.

Brazil only scraping past North Korea

Switzerland beating Spain

France losing 2-0 to Mexico

Algeria holding us to a 0-0 draw

Serbia beat the Krauts

New Zealand draw with Italy

The French team's World Cup has plunged new depths after the squad refused to train on Sunday.

The squad had been scheduled to take part in a public training session in Knysna, but pulled out at the last minute. A statement by coach Raymond Domenech confirmed that the players' refusal to train was in protest at the decision to send striker Nicolas Anelka home from South Africa.

Anelka was sent home after reports emerged that he had insulted coach Raymond Domenech at half time during the 2-0 defeat to Mexico on Thursday.

In the wake of the aborted training session, Jean-Louis Valentin, the French Football Federation's delegate attached to the squad in South Africa, announced his resignation.

"The players have refused to train," Valentin told the media. "It's a disgrace. Under these circumstances I am returning to Paris and resigning."

Speaking to ITV Sport, former France international Patrick Vieira said the situation was "a mess".

"I think the manager has lost control of the team," Vieira said.

Meanwhile fellow Frenchman Marcel Desailly lamented the team's ill discipline.

"It's a shame because we love that generation," Desailly said. "They had huge potential, but it's really sad."

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/fifaworldcup/news/franceinturmoil/?utm_source=sendible&utm_medium=feed

--------------------------------------------------------

Oh dear, oh dear and we think we have it bad with England.

Karma's a bitch.:D

The ball doesn't look like a football.

A ball that doesn't look like a standard football or whatever it is supposed to just doesn't seem right.

All this Adidas ******** about it going faster and that doesn't make much difference anyway.

Adidas's spin on it was that they'd produced 'the roundest ball ever' lol.

Noone's managed to score from a free kick on goal yet, or even force a decent save from a keeper with one as it just always flies over.

The thing is it's difficult to get any "spin on it" :D;)

the first one in 11 days....pish poor.

I've used one of these balls in a 5 aside league i play in goal in, its all about technique head over the ball etc bearing in mind there's the head height rule to consider lol. Very difficult for keepers if its hit perfectly because it absolutely flies.

it did take most teams a game to get used to it though..and i think the altitude is affecting it a bit because there still hasn't been that many decent free kicks taken.

Just two more groups to decide the final qualifiers into the last 16.....and possibly the most mouth watering games on paper at least that this 3rd round of group matches threw up.

Portugal vs Brazil for the group win.

And possibly the best game to round things off, Chile vs

Spain where Spain almost certainly have to win to at least qualify and Chile having won 2/2 may still be eliminated depending on the Switzerland Honduras result.

2nd Round games are shaping up like this...

Uruguay vs South Korea

Germany vs England

Holland vs Slovakia

Paraguay vs Japan

USA vs Ghana

Argentina vs Mexico

Brazil vs Chile/Switzerland

Spain vs Portugal

Thoughts or predictions anybody?

England have been dire, so were Italy and France although there has been some decent games. Portugal v Brazil was always going to be a borefest when Brazil were through and Portugal only needed a point.

If Italy had Buffon fit they'd probably be through to the second round though...Pirlo was injured as well, noticeable how much of a difference he made to them yesterday when he came on for the last 20 minutes..they weren't dire but just lacked the intensity/urgency until they woke up, scored one of the best goals in this world cup so far actually. France though....Pah! Useless in the 2002 WC and again at this one....their attitude and team spirit literally stunk!

Archived