Spirit...and bring on next year!!!!

Chester40

On New Year's Eve it seems apt to talk about it.... 

Last night was the first time in a long while I felt really connected to and proud of the team. As has been mentioned elsewhere, was it just coincidence that all the primary figures from 'that night' were all absent? Lawrence, Keogh, Bennett, Huddlestone...Malone.... Martin.... Also been suggested some players have had split loyalties and felt loyal to Keogh...presumably these would be prime candidates. 

Really feel youth, new players, and a deep broom is in order. Sell what we can and surely even Anya and the like would be better out on loan with half their wages paid for than cluttering up the squad.

Cocu would be better able to rely on players who owe their chance to him. If he is to be ultimately successful in his big plan, now is the time to be bold and ditch high profile names. 

I think Cocu should really clear the decks. I know some people feel relegation is a concern but I don't... lets start to prepare for 2020-21. Keep blooding the youngsters, shift out the bulk of those who aren't in it for the long haul (maybe keep Davies and prepare him for life as a defensive coach). 

How many times have we talked about a young, mean, hungry, sleek squad?  So why are people talking about renewing contracts for Huddlestone? Why have we got FloJo and Paterson blocking up places? Let's use the second half of the season to see who can cut it. 

I kinda like that we went out on a limb paid so much for one player with Bielik.. he's young and could really be top drawer quality. Much prefer that to aged perennial squad fillers of recent times, Jerome, Nugent etc. 

Let's be bold... Mel has been very bold in his appointment of managers...Lamps, Pearson, Cocu..but then as soon as we have hit problems the collective nerve has gone and we have just bailed out and appointed another manager. 

Out with the old.. In with the new.. Merry 2020s!!!!!!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One moment stood out a bit last night. Near the east stand touchline Gallagher had gone down again like a sack of spuds, rolling, screaming, convulsing. A few of their players were giving it the bigun and wisdom got right in their faces, waghorn sarcastically "helped up" the dying Gallagher and then joined wisdom. Says a lot to me when players are prepared to go toe to toe if needed. Not saying I condone fighting and lack of discipline, but the players backing and fighting for each other I love.

11 minutes ago, KCG said:

Do get bored with the pointless conjecture about camps. The problem for most games this season has been our style of play. Last night we played with pace and intent. Let's hope it continues.

I don't necessarily disagree... But if you recall years later you hear lots of retired players saying how they hated playing for England when there were clear Liverpool / United camps, so this stuff is real. 

Even if it's not...just saying let's just go really fresh slate.... Stop trying same old and rehashing and hoping to get different result. Really want Cocu to make seismic changes this window and not just make do and mend til the summer. 

Its the 20s after all. 

8 minutes ago, KBB said:

One moment stood out a bit last night. Near the east stand touchline Gallagher had gone down again like a sack of spuds, rolling, screaming, convulsing. A few of their players were giving it the bigun and wisdom got right in their faces, waghorn sarcastically "helped up" the dying Gallagher and then joined wisdom. Says a lot to me when players are prepared to go toe to toe if needed. Not saying I condone fighting and lack of discipline, but the players backing and fighting for each other I love.

Holmes completely poohoused him in the second half. Kicking him, pushing him, talking in his ear and stroking his hair. He knew he'd have the support of his team mates should things have turned nasty.

Archived