Monday Musing-We are no longer rigid

TuffLuff

22 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Ok I will hold my hands up if I'm out of order.

I'm genuinely interested to know what attributes each of the players you mentioned have that means they can play these different roles at this level.

I really hope you are right but I think we are seeing a lot of statements, not particularly aimed at you, from people just based on guesswork and the return of the feelgood factor.

I'd hoped that Friday was a bit of an eye opener and that people would be brought back down to earth a bit.

I feel we will challenge this year but some of the comments flying around may set us up for a big fall if we don't. 

Ok I’ve sobered up (a little) so I’ll try and get into this. No promises I’ll get back to reply today though! 

So I think where the basis of my point is in the players who have left this window, or at least rumoured to be leaving I’m comparison to what’s been brought in. The likes of Bent, Shackell and Baird, while their contracts ran out, are all pretty rigid in how they play (ok Baird may be a little more expansive as he can push forward and play a few positions but he’s not consistent as cdm or lb).

Then there’s Weimann, as for now the only first team player who’s been sold. Again he can only play one way which is erratic, inconsistent and one paced. That isn’t a bad thing per se, it’s worked for him in quite a few games less season as he was able to get behind the defence and contribute. But overall can we ever say he had a fantastic season?

Then there’s the few who have been linked away, Vydra, now Huddlestone heck I’d even say Martin (as much as it pains me). Once again, I consider them players who play their own way and you have to accommodate them into your 11 rather than them being flexible enough to make changes to their game (Ok I don’t think this is as much the case for Martin but I’ll keep him in for balance). Butterfield, Jerome and Blackman too are all players who suit this mold who fit one style, and one pace. Hence why we have seen little of them.

This may be the classic ‘we bought loads of players to suit one manager and then sacked them’ line. But the players we seem to be keeping on and are involved are the ones who can adapt (Ledley, Johnson, atm Nugent) or have youth on their side (Lawrence, Bennett, Thomas, Lowe, Wisdom). I also mentioned about being too one paced, this is something which was not really discussed by us during Rowett’s reign but it was mentioned on the Totally Football League Show and I thought was a great point. That we were so one dimensional last season we couldn’t move pass going st a pace we were comfortable with. Once teams got to grips with it (oh let’s say around Feb), then that was when we struggled from.

So let’s look at players we have brought in. Every thread on a player has mentioned that said player can play ‘across the front’ or in Evans case, as a CM who can also play as a CB. Which is a good thing overall because we can set up differently. Yes that’s not as simple in practice, but I think its a good thing to at least be getting in players who give you different options.

From what I’ve seen, yes the game wasn’t the best on Friday but im so far more than encouraged that I thought we were trying to do the right things.Wilson looks a different prospect to the likes of Weimann for me, he’s more considered and considers where he needs to be positionally. That’s a good thing to me, and he will be suited to either wing. Possibly a good foil for Lawrence who has the license to push forward in and around the box. Mount again likes to get forward but looked positionally sound to me. Jozefzoon looks like he can create on either wing. Waghorn has more assists than any of our players recently and has played his career across a front three.

So we are moving away from the rigid players to something more flexible in my eyes which I thinks a good thing to take us away from the one paced game we had last season. We’ve also brought in creative players who want to play football. Before we had a lot of finishers but little in terms of creators.

Anyway I think that’s my point. Sorry it’s long! Think you are right about Friday being an eye opener, we aren’t a finished product with an inexperienced manager but I still saw enough positive in terms of how we wanted to play, what we wanted to do with the ball and even Lampard’s making substitutions at the right time to effect a game. Yes there were also negatives but there always will be in the first game. The final point I’ll make (finally!) is that I think Hassrlbaink said in the Guardian piece that he’s never come across a player like Lampard who focussed on his negatives in training. If he’s pointed them out in our squad and is trying to improve on them then I’m all for it!

19 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

No worries, we are on an Internet forum debating the team we all love, if we weren't so passionate about them we wouldn't be on here!

Certainly no need to apologise, Ive had people abusing me on here for years and certainly won't take offence! 

Enjoy your holiday! We can agree I was right all along when you get back ?

Ha, cheers! It’s cool, I know we are sometimes on the other sides to one another but I always think you are good to debate summit with. Sometimes on here I think things get a little too argumentatively OTT when people disagree when there’s no need.

——————

im gonna get a beer!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Ok I will hold my hands up if I'm out of order.

I'm genuinely interested to know what attributes each of the players you mentioned have that means they can play these different roles at this level.

I really hope you are right but I think we are seeing a lot of statements, not particularly aimed at you, from people just based on guesswork and the return of the feelgood factor.

I'd hoped that Friday was a bit of an eye opener and that people would be brought back down to earth a bit.

I feel we will challenge this year but some of the comments flying around may set us up for a big fall if we don't. 

Tom Lawrence turned into John O Hare for five seconds on Friday G Star mate... what more proof do you need.. it was a miracle if ever ive seen one.?

12 hours ago, richinspain said:

Why do you think that if anyone can make it work Frank can? What has he shown you in 5 friendlies and one league game that makes you think that? He was a world class midfielder who could make things work whilst on the pitch, but he's now stood on the touch line or on the training pitch having to get his thoughts across to championship players.

I'm not having a dig at you in particular, just picking up on the last post of it's kind. I'm not a doom sayer either. I honestly do believe that with FL's intelligence plus the staff he has around him that he will make work. It is however an assumption. I will also trust his judgment with signings but again we have no evidence that he can produce. I'm actually a happy clapper who always believes that we have got the best people working for our club, but saying that if anyone can make it work it's Frank I think is a little premature and hope that deep down everyone realises this. He's Frank Lampard apprentice manager (yes he's got a 100% win record), not Pep Guardiola or Jose Mourinho who at this moment I really would be confident of them sorting the team out. As was said when he first took over, let's just enjoy the ride. COYR.

Fair comment. The first round of games in the championship, if nothing else has shown that there are a lot very decent teams competing.  It's transpired that under Lampard, DCFC are rebuilding with emphasis on youth. I am inclined to be realistic regarding expectations for this season. 

Archived