Sceptic or not?

EssendonRam

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you crunch the numbers it transpires that the chances of intelligent, technologically advanced life existing elsewhere are pretty minimal.

the chances of intelligent, technologically advanced life existing at the same time is even more remote

And the chances of it existing anywhere near enough to communicate with are less than zero.

17 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Have you heard of Robert Kirk? He's a 17th century Scottish clergyman who wrote an account of the faery lore and second sight amongst his parishioners. Mythology, if you will, but part of people's lives in his day, and common in some form to all cultures.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kirk_(folklorist)

Not familiar with him I'm afraid. I should do some reading.  Remarkable the difference between a 'faery' and the Victorian image of a 'fairy'.  Round these parts, the faeries or the Sidhe were not to be messed with and were often harbingers of death.  They seemed to have gone quiet somewhat since the electric light was invented.  But it's still fascinating to learn about.

12 hours ago, Lambchop said:

There is no doubt that phenomena such as we are recounting here occur, they are too common to say otherwise.

What they tell us, ultimately, about the nature of reality, no one knows. The important thing for me is to retain a sense of awe and wonder at life, rather than constantly trying to explain it away. 

Total head-scratcher this for me. Cos in over 40-years of human interaction with limitless opportunity for surprising coincidences (never mind 'shock and awe' ones)  not one thing has ever occurred that went beyond 'huh that's a bit of a coincidence...I was just thinking of that person/song' etc.. to me ..ever.  

It hasn't happened to me. But IF it did. I would think...'wow what a coincidence', but it would hardly be that surprising by the virtue of odds it has finally happened.

My friend regularly demands I explain how she was suddenly worried about a relative and phoned them and they told her they had been diagnosed with a serious illness the day before.  It drives me totally bonkers. Like she only ever thought 'oh I must phone ...someone ...' that one time in her life. We all look for patterns or give added meaning to little things ...which is fine, its people's insistence that it brings irrefutable proof of something more meaningful that gives me a headache.

Well, as if a bad couple of years (for various reasons, personally and professionally) was only ever going to become more and more toxic (just when I thought it was not possible), July 2018 is rapidly becoming the most forgettable month of my life.

On July 6, a mate (Randolf) passed away. I learned of his passing on July 10.

Then, on Sunday morning (July 15), I received a message from my best mate's elder sister. Terry, my closest mate since the day we first met when I moved to a new primary school when we were both just 8 years old, had passed away the night before. Terry was to turn 52 on August 1st. 

I've written in here of Terry and his family previously. Terry's mum and dad (an English Catholic from Liverpool and a Northern Irish Protestant from Belfast) who were fascinated by the little Australian boy who loved English football and Derby almost as much as he loved Australian Rules and Essendon and who effectively adopted me as an honourary member of the dinner table chats on football.

I've always credited Terry's family with forcing the depth of that little Australian boy's knowledge and commitment to Derby ever deeper; as I've said previously, you had to know why you were Derby to hold your own at their dinner table....

Well, now my closest mate for the last 43 years of my life is gone.

I couldn't even bring myself to watch the World Cup final last night. It was just too painful.

RIP Terence Michael Hume. 1/8/1966-14/7/2018. I'll miss you mate.

Archived