World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2

Good to hear Belgium are winning ...if they do the biz England “only” have to beat Panama . If we don’t beat Panama I will throw myself in the canal.

Belgium are very good going forward - which sounds obvious with their quality of individuals but they've had trouble playing like this in the past.

They're very open at the back though. Could be a bit of a shootout when we face them. 

23 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Belgium look weak at the back, this Tunisia defense is playing atrociously, but a better team could easily get at Belgium with the amount of time and space they have been giving in this game.

England also are not convincing at the back. Should be a good game when we play them (unless we both give up after already qualifying), but I think Belgium carry more of an attacking threat than we do.

2 minutes ago, GenBr said:

England also are not convincing at the back. Should be a good game when we play them (unless we both give up after already qualifying), but I think Belgium carry more of an attacking threat than we do.

I disagree with you, we limited Tunisia to one shot in our game and in general looked quite solid, only conceding from a small mistake to give away a penalty. I think we're a lot better than you think at defending. I suspect we'll beat Belgium.

Just now, Andicis said:

I disagree with you, we limited Tunisia to one shot in our game and in general looked quite solid, only conceding from a small mistake to give away a penalty. I think we're a lot better than you think at defending. I suspect we'll beat Belgium.

Tunisia only had one shot because they are not a very good team - nothing to do with our defence who looked far from convincing. On numerous occasions our defenders panicked or gave the ball away in dangerous positions, which a good team would have punished.

2 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Tunisia only had one shot because they are not a very good team - nothing to do with our defence who looked far from convincing. On numerous occasions our defenders panicked or gave the ball away in dangerous positions, which a good team would have punished.

Fine, but Tunisia have had a lot of chances against Belgium. 9 shots and 3 on target. Maybe that's because we're a lot more solid team and you're underrating us? You can equally make the argument a good team would have punished Belgium today. 

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Fine, but Tunisia have had a lot of chances against Belgium. 9 shots and 3 on target. Maybe that's because we're a lot more solid team and you're underrating us? You can equally make the argument a good team would have punished Belgium today. 

This is a Martinez defense. I've a Belgian friend who's an Everton fan and he says he sets them up exactly like he did Everton. Hit them on the break with quality and they'll fall apart, he says.

Just now, SaintRam said:

This is a Martinez defense. I've a Belgian friend who's an Everton fan and he says he sets them up exactly like he did Everton. Hit them on the break with quality and they'll fall apart, he says.

Think that is a really accurate assessment. They have some world class attacking talent, and some top defenders, but they don't defend as a unit and look extremely vulnerable. Holes everywhere in that backline. I think, and I hope England can expose that. 

Looks increasingly like England will have to beat Belgium to top the group.

And considering they’ve brought off Lukaku and Hazard early, it’s clear Martinez is intent on topping the group.

Whoever does could have a great chance of reaching at least the semi-finals what with Mexico potentially topping group F.

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

Looks increasingly like England will have to beat Belgium to top the group.

And considering they’ve brought off Lukaku and Hazard early, it’s clear Martinez is intent on topping the group.

Whoever does could have a great chance of reaching at least the quarter-finals what with Mexico potentially topping group F.

We'd be against top of group H, not F. I actually think the route through the tournament is a lot easier if you finish 2nd in our group than 1st.

4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

We'd be against top of group H, not F. I actually think the route through the tournament is a lot easier if you finish 2nd in our group than 1st.

It would be top of group F in the quarters if we finish 2nd and progress past the last 16. Of course that's if they went through also.

Just now, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

It would be top of group F in the quarters if we finish 2nd and progress past the last 16.

Sure, but if you win in our group your likely against top of E in the Quarters, who I think will be a lot tougher than Mexico. 

Sith Happens
44 minutes ago, Andicis said:

That's a really bizarre thing to do. I know that first might get the harder side of the draw, BUT a losing mentality is never what you want to promote. Odd.

Plus if you are going to do well you have to beat whoever anyway. Better to play the better teams early on before they hit top form.

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

Exactly. I agree that a good attacking team would punish Belgium as well. Belgium and England are both better in attack than defence and will both create chances against each others defences, which is why I said it would be a good game. However I feel we lack a cutting edge when compared to Belgium which gives them an advantage, but if Lingaard and co can take the chances that are presented to them it should be one hell of game for spectators (assuming either team has anything to play for at that point).

Archived