Abject stupidity

eddie

Update....

I found a method.

Using the Windows key to get to Settings, then tabbing into Keyboard/Mouse and then to the touchpad controls, by tabbing down I found a 'reset to default' key which worked.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest that would have been one of the first things I would have done, me and @Boycie we’re just talking about it the other day, we’ll he was doing the talking, he’s my first port of call with all my IT problems, if you had just PM’d him you would have been up and running in no time.

Just now, Pearl Ram said:

To be honest that would have been one of the first things I would have done, me and @Boycie we’re just talking about it the other day, we’ll he was doing the talking, he’s my first port of call with all my IT problems, if you had just PM’d him you would have been up and running in no time.

You’re my new favourite.

5 hours ago, eddie said:

I spent about 20 minutes looking - no keyboard shortcut to toggle the mousepad found (I tried Fn + Fkeys, Ctrl + Fkeys, Alt + Fkeys, Ctrl + Fn + Fkeys, Alt + Fn + Fkeys, Ctrl + Alt + Fn + Fkeys until I ran out of fingers). Been through about 5 pages of W10 shortcuts, Dell shortcuts etc. Now I have a workable mouse I have had a bit of a play - can't remember who it was suggesting 'turn it off and on again' but that doesn't have any effect of course (otherwise any settings would restore to default values every time you rebooted).

Not wasting any more time on it - just never going anywhere without a spare mouse again.

Should have bought a MacBook.

18 hours ago, Moist One said:

what is your F6 button @eddie ? 

Pretty sure Fn + F6 (or maybe another function button) would able/disable the mousepad.

Please don’t be sensible on this thread..... grass

Budge up Eddie, time to join you in the stupidity sofa.

Last night whilst on the xBox my headphones died, asked the missus to run upstairs and fetch my AirPods (Apples wireless earbuds, bloody brilliant they are), not there she said. Odd. They live on my drawers in the office, always there if not the rare occasion on my desk charging.

I don't think more of it until this morning, we live in a small house, almost like a flat on 2 floors, doesn't take long to turn the house upside down, these things are nowhere to be seen. I blame the missus for moving them, she blames me, I say if it's not you the bogeyman must have been in and taken them. Then it clicks, who's been in the house recently?....carpet fitters. 

Now this is where I'm seriously kicking myself, last year I bought a super expensive, crazy expensive watch, I tell the missus the night before I'm hiding it, contractors coming round your house, put your valuables away. She did turn round and say stick it on your wrist which was a valid point, I did.

Problem is, with all the preparation in getting downstairs ready I didn't go and complete my gadget hiding. On the same drawers lives a Canon camera and GoPro, both still there, AirPods not.

Thing is I have no proof, nothing, other than they were there one day, not the next. 

We had carpets fitted upstairs and downstairs, whilst we were downstairs busy building IKEA flatpack stuff they had free roam of upstairs and my office door was open as they were fitting the landing carpet. Drawers were maybe 2 strides away. 

Contacted Apple as I still have the box, serial number, they won't can't check to see if the serial number has been activated by another account, the Find My iPhone app (shows all Apple devices) will only show them when they are online. It's next to useless unless you have lost just one and can ping a sound.

Live chat has also told me that if another phone registers them and uses them they will not show on my Find My iPhone app.

The carpets were from SCS who contract the work out to local fitters, as I say I have zero proof so don't want to go making accusations for them to turn up where the missus did move them and forget, she's adamant that she never touched them, barely goes in my office.

£160 a pair, I will put it down to a valuable lesson learnt and feel like an absolute idiot for getting robbed (I think) under me own nose.

Archived