Ever bought or sold a car at auction?

RamNut

I was looking at the British Car auctions website.

in addition to the fact that you can now look up any cars full MoT history and list of advisory items on DVLA, the auction site declares cat c and d write offs, and often provides a fully body check plus AA report. Seems pretty good and less risky that buying privately.

has anyone ever bought or sold at auction.

there are a few additional fees but what was your experience?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first car was bought at Southampton Car Auctions in 1985

a 1972 yellow VW Beetle, bought for me by my dad for passing my test.

£225, bargain, only firing on 3 cylinders.

Would love to tell you about the intricacies of the buying process but I just came home one day and there it was!

Not much help am I?

Bought my first car at a police car auction in 78, a 73 Dodge Coronet.

My stepdad knew the auctioneer and found out which two Coronets were in the best shape and what buyer was also on the lookout for the best Coronets.  They made sure one of the two came up early for bidding and the other much later.  It worked, the other bidder bought the first good Coronet for $1.200 and i got the other one for $775.

Hope that helps :)

On 29/11/2017 at 03:45, ramit said:

Bought my first car at a police car auction in 78, a 73 Dodge Coronet.

My stepdad knew the auctioneer and found out which two Coronets were in the best shape and what buyer was also on the lookout for the best Coronets.  They made sure one of the two came up early for bidding and the other much later.  It worked, the other bidder bought the first good Coronet for $1.200 and i got the other one for $775.

Hope that helps :)

Did it have blue flashing lights anorl

I have bought loads over the years at one time there was a discrepancy between Derby and Nottingham auctions you could buy at one and sell it at the other.

Not so now days ,please bear in mind that these places are the domain of traders and the likes of WBAC sell ther cars there and people have off loaded them for a reason.

Also cars that dealers will not retail also end up there ,having said all that bargains to be had but be careful .Depending on budget the Manheim auction at Bruntingthorpe is the one I would go to .  

1 hour ago, King Kevin said:

I have bought loads over the years at one time there was a discrepancy between Derby and Nottingham auctions you could buy at one and sell it at the other.

Not so now days ,please bear in mind that these places are the domain of traders and the likes of WBAC sell ther cars there and people have off loaded them for a reason.

Also cars that dealers will not retail also end up there ,having said all that bargains to be had but be careful .Depending on budget the Manheim auction at Bruntingthorpe is the one I would go to .  

British car auctions own WBAC.

Archived