Local Currency

Stive Pesley

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-40728550

Local currencies are common around the world - there are more than 10 in the UK. The idea behind them is that if you spend your money with a locally based company instead of a big chain, more of that money will continue to circulate locally. It won't be sucked out of your community into a company's foreign headquarters, or be paid out to shareholders.

This is supposed to be the future - would you sign-up if they offered it in your home town?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isolationism?

When will people start subscribing to the barter system? I could knock a great batch of Belgian-style beer up for anyone who can fix my garage roof.

I think this is also a consequence of the former High street banks closing all their high street branches. If there is nowhere locally to bank your money then go back to bartering and cut the banks out of the loop altogether. Can't be a bad thing.

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I think this is also a consequence of the former High street banks closing all their high street branches. If there is nowhere locally to bank your money then go back to bartering and cut the banks out of the loop altogether. Can't be a bad thing.

And I guess low historically low interest rates mean the banks are scrabbling to make money where they can from businesses who have the temerity to want to bank with them...wanting to charge a silly % of all transactions via card when you have countries like Sweden that are already almost cashless

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41095004

We may not see it now but I  think that we're living through the period of history where cash becomes obsolete.

If a country then takes out the entire comms network via a nuclear weapon exploded in the sky we ae truly back to barterring with sticks and stones

Archived