Welcome Burton Albion Our new Rivals.

Ramz64

10 minutes ago, McLovin said:

My Geography isn't the greatest but I think Burton's technically in Staffordshire which means they're in the West Midlands 

Yeah I live here, it is Staffordshire. We always think of it as East Midlands though?! Can't be ten miles from Derby and be on the opposite side of the Midlands?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think whether Burton is in the East or West Midlands has actually changed a couple of times over the  years. Technically it's in the West Midlands. If you go by national region.

but I've always thought of it as East Midlands. The dialect is more 'alright me duck' than 'yam's alroyt'? You need to get as far as Alrewas up the A38 before it starts to feel more brum.

and also in terms of it being Derby's local rival, then it's the closest. 

But in answer to the OP, the relationship between the Brewers and the Rams will never be as tribal as it is with us and Forest. There's not the history there and football is arguably less tribal than it ever was, so it's difficult to see them becoming a hardcore adversary.

I hope, like most Derby fans, you wish Burton and Nigel well, unless we're playing them. In which case; tear them a new one.....

(this post was brought to you by boringamateur-geographers.biz)

7 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Too much heritage of envy and cross fertilisation between us and forest for our rivalry to be easily replaced.

We have the Brian clough trophy. 

Perhaps we need a Nigel clough plate..

To be fair though, there's a lot of cross fertilisation between us and Burton too. Shared managers, shared players, shared facilities sometimes. 

I think of Burton like a little brother. They're fine as long as they're kept in their place, it's nice to see them doing well, welcome to our sloppy seconds. But I can imagine if I was a Burton fan I'd find that quite condescending and I'd want to do one over on derby at every opportunity. I could see a rivalry form there, but whereas the rivalry between us and forest is that of enemies who have always been bitter, the rivalry between us and Burton is more of a sibling rivalry, that could get quite ferocious and nasty if the circumstances were right. 

Imagine if they beat us again and stay up. For now we can laugh it off as a fluke, a one off, Pearson's fault. But if it happens again, we're going to start thinking they're taking the piss now. 

Archived