A.

Chester40

..the first openly "out" current, high-profile footballer? 

Can I say I haven't got anyone in mind and its not a thread to start naming people! It just seems utterly crazy it is an issue at all.

With the disclosures starting to emerge from Crewe etc, British football is going to have to start to look at itself currently, due to a very brave bloke standing up and saying what happened to him - and it ain't a pretty picture.

I feel every father/mother/sibling owes him a debt for putting his own feelings aside to try and make sure it cannot happen to anyone again.

As we start to admit and talk about real dark secrets and overturn horrible, unpleasant truths and move towards ever more enlightened times... what place is there for such stigma attached to consensual, same sex relationships? Its pathetic.

I honestly think if one player came out, he'd get a lot of credit and positive exposure and there would be a flood of players and within a year it would be totally forgotten.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I don't see the relationship between an adult sexually abusing a youngster in his care, and a person coming out as homosexual to be honest.

Apologies @Chester40 if the above post comes across arsey, not my intention reading it back.

There's an older thread discussing Gay footballers somewhere.

On the topic of the Crewe coach's abuse, I read today that a group of parents confronted him at his home, but when he burst into tears and promised no repeat, they let it go, rather than report him to the police, for the sakes of their kids future careers thinking they'd nipped it in the bud!

37 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Apologies @Chester40 if the above post comes across arsey, not my intention reading it back.

There's an older thread discussing Gay footballers somewhere.

On the topic of the Crewe coach's abuse, I read today that a group of parents confronted him at his home, but when he burst into tears and promised no repeat, they let it go, rather than report him to the police, for the sakes of their kids future careers thinking they'd nipped it in the bud!

No mate...I didn't really explain what I meant very well....and I'm still.struggling.

Twofold thoughts really, firstly abuse is a gradual thing. If there wasnt such a stigma about being 'gay' or a wimp or whatever, then maybe he wouldn't have feared ridicule and disclosed early on that he was the target of some odd/worrying behaviour.

Secondly, if that man can open up about something so traumatic and be met with universal respect and care. It's seems oddly contrasting that not one single footballer  feels able to say 'yes I am gay ' for fear of what will happen. Football should be dragged out into the 21st Century.

Sorry can't really express it clearly but just seems priorities are all wrong somewhere.

Archived