Aussie Rules ! Ed Dawes and Craig Ramage eat your heart out !

Monkeytennis12345

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately for the Cats (Geelong; the team in the navy and white hoops), they lost their Preliminary Final tonight to Sydney so they're eliminated.

Sydney will play the winner of Greater Western Sydney and the Western Bulldogs (née Footscray) in the Grand Final next Saturday. GWS are an expansion team, in only their fifth season, and they're just two wins from possibly winning their first premiership.

The Bulldogs, on the other hand, are from the lowly Melbourne  suburb of Footscray and are renowned for their "tragic history" in the 95 years since joining the VFL/AFL. Their only flag was in 1954; their last (and only other) Grand Final was 1961. They've lost five Preliminary Finals in just on 20 years usually in laughably sad circumstances. One year, they were 5 goals up with one quarter to play and choked; one year the goal umpire called a goal a point and cost them the game.

If GWS win tonight, the AFL will have the first Sydney derby Grand Final.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2016 at 02:39, EssendonRam said:

If GWS win tonight, the AFL will have the first Sydney derby Grand Final.

I have honestly never heard anyone refer to the AFL's plastic Sydney showdown as 'the Sydney derby'. The actual Sydney derby is on right now, and actually beat the attendance that their match in the finals had. This match is just a regular season game too. 

21 hours ago, Albert said:

I have honestly never heard anyone refer to the AFL's plastic Sydney showdown as 'the Sydney derby'. The actual Sydney derby is on right now, and actually beat the attendance that their match in the finals had. This match is just a regular season game too. 

All I can say is you haven't been listening then.

I have tried to follow the A-League. I was a member of Victory for 4 years, tried Heart in their first year and watched 3 games yesterday.

The standard is too poor I'm afraid.

Archived