Are we struggling to get players through the door?

Derbados

Concerning last night that Pearson mentioned that "numerous lines of enquiry hadn't come about" when asked about transfers. 

Is FFP biting us in the arse hard? are we not meeting transfer demands of players placed by club simply because we cant?  According to The Sun (garbage probably i know) we had three bids for Ross Mccormack turned down before he went to Villa.

How many other players have we potentially lost out on? 

The signs are obvious that we need a few in and a few out yet hardly any have moved on and the only in is a loanee. I sensed a lot of frustration from Pearson last night,not just at the performance but in general, i have a feeling he has wanted to do more business than he has but it hasn't transpired, possibly due to finances. It may also explain why some players are not playing for him, they may well know he has tried to bring some in to move some on but because it hasn't come about they now think "f**k it, im not in your plans for the long term anyway so why bother?"

Just a thought  

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Concerning last night that Pearson mentioned that "numerous lines of enquiry hadn't come about" when asked about transfers. 

Is FFP biting us in the arse hard? are we not meeting transfer demands of players placed by club simply because we cant?  According to The Sun (garbage probably i know) we had three bids for Ross Mccormack turned down before he went to Villa.

How many other players have we potentially lost out on? 

The signs are obvious that we need a few in and a few out yet hardly any have moved on and the only in is a loanee. I sensed a lot of frustration from Pearson last night,not just at the performance but in general, i have a feeling he has wanted to do more business than he has but it hasn't transpired, possibly due to finances. It may also explain why some players are not playing for him, they may well know he has tried to bring some in to move some on but because it hasn't come about they now think "f**k it, im not in your plans for the long term anyway so why bother?"

Just a thought  

As I said in another thread I don't think he likes any of our forwards. Likes Bent a little and how Camara at least wants to take on players. Under the circumstances you don't have to show much to be liked. But as far as Blackman, Weimann, Russell and Martin are concerned he does not. Also potentially Ince too. 

I don't think its FFP or else we wouldn't be making sizable bids for players. I think that, in order to improve on what we've got, we have to be looking at a higher calibre of player. Whatever the quality of performance so far this season, the basic core of this squad has had us competing for promotion for the last three seasons (collapses and bad luck notwithstanding). While I'd probably like us to go out a find a few Bryson-esque bargains, we no longer have the patience to build organically. Therefore, we have to try to buy the finished article. When you do that, other clubs with similar or more money, and similar or greater expectations, will be looking at the same players. Whether we like it or jot, we can't compete with the likes of Villa and Newcastle either in terms of wages or long term expectations of success (from a player's perspective).  

From what I've read on here in the last few days, we don't want to pay our players alot of money because it makes them overpaid primadonnas and we seem to take an instant dislike to anybody who cost us a lot of money (I believe this mainly comes from years of not spending much and we, as a group, have a heightened expectation of what £6-£7m gets you... crazy I know and I don't agree with it. Fees have gone mad and its terrible to think you might only be getting a 'decent' player for this money). If you think about it, a lot of people slate Martin and Hendrick for not being good or consistent enough but still want £7m plus for them. Why should we expect absolute superstars who never put a foot wrong for the same kind of money (e.g. BJ and TI). 

I've forgotten what my point was... Oh yes. We are having trouble getting players in but only becasue there is more competition for the players we want/need. It does seem like we're having trouble unearthing the odd rough diamond that we have been able to in the past (or we aren't trying). I'm sure we could find a few £500,000 low risk signings out there, if we - collectively - are prepared to give them a chance.

Archived