When should promotion be the aim if Pearson needs revolve the squad?

CumbrianRam

When should promotion be the aim if Pearson needs revolve the squad?   

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Madness to suggest that we need a season of transition after finishing 5th!

But anyway, assuming we're ditching the 433 and making big changes (I really don't know why but that's the situation we now have on our hands), I'm going for three years!

It will be interesting to see what Mel Morris does, because without at least four new arrivals between now and September 1, we're heading for midtable.

You don't spend £30m on a team which finished 3rd and with 85 points and be happy with midtable. Well, you shouldn't be anyway!

I'd say a year or maybe even two for complete overhaul. He should sell majority of the players from the period of Nigel Clough (except for Will Hughes, as he is the key player to build future team around) and replace them with younger hungrier players (maybe even from abroad as English born players are too expensive). This team as it's stands is good for the Championship, but not good enough to achieve direct promotion and survive at least one season in the Premier League.

Big gamble. 

You could strip it back to this Carson, Cyrus, Keogh, Shackell, Forsyth, Thorne asap, Hughes, Bryson, Russell, Martin, Ince (the closest team to 2014's 85 points and league top scorers that smashed Brighton) and work from there in terms of recruitment and Nigel's coaching skill. The option to slowly evolve into Nigel's vision is still there

Or you can rebuild in Nigel's vision instantly. It could work soon. The price of failure could be a broken team with no identity looking for a new manager missing some of the better players they've had in a decade. 

Someone will come in now with "but we failed for 3 years!!" pretending to ignore what happened to the team at the end of 2014/15 season. And that Clement was sacked for NOT playing the same style as McClaren. It was 433 on paper but it wasn't McClaren's style. No central midfielder even met Martin never mind scored double figures!! 

Pearson can play whoever wherever he likes. All I want to see is players put in areas suited to their ability. Not players put in areas suited to what worked for Nigel at Leicester City

You can get angry that professional footballers should be able to play where asked. They can. They are doing. Are we all enjoying seeing Bryson stood with Keogh doing the build up? Do we like Ince stood on one spot playing the position as it looks on paper rather than closing the huge gap between Bent and midfield because he doesn't recognise his shape? I'm not suggesting how to fix it. I'm just saying it looks **** and it never used to when they did other stuff

Archived