Squad for next season

IlsonDerby

I won't include keepers as you need 3 of them for me so one of our 4 will leave in my opinion. 

I looked at the current retained list of 30 players. Had a look at who realistically I could see going and here's what I arrived at (note: shotton had left by this point):

full backs:

Olsson Christie Forsyth (Baird) [Lowe]

centre backs: 

Keogh Shackell Rawson (Buxton) (Pearce) (Albentosa) 

defensive minded midfielders:

Hanson Thorne

none defensive minded midfielders:

Hughes Bryson Johnson Butterfield (Hendrick) 

versatile attackers:

Russell Ince Weimann Camara 

centre forwards: 

Martin Bent Blackman 

if if those in normal brackets were to leave permanently and those with square brackets were to leave on loan/be seen as u21 players that would give us an outfield squad size of 19. We'd probably have to bring in another centre back if Rawson is seen to be a bit too raw for our first team yet, In that case I'd send him out on loan. 

So with an outfield squad size of 19 I believe it comes down to 1 in 1 out in terms of transfers. 

Obviously this is based on opinions and 'realistic' players departing. Let's be honest we are not going to sell Johnson at a loss and mess up our FFP results for this year. 

What are your thoughts? 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding johnson , personally I think he could thrive in a midfield 2 . We've seen how good he can be , pair him with Hughes in the middle and give him a box to box role he'll thrive ( i hope) . 

A front 2 of Martin and bent could potentially be lethal in this division and hopefully it's something they will be working on . My first 11 would be : 

Carson 

Christie   Keogh   shackell  Olsson 

Ince         hughes    johnson  Russell 

Martin 

Bent 

Understand that Shotton was wanted and therefore left for Brum, while Raul will go back to Spain in all probability. But if Rawson is seen as not yet ready, why would we sell out other 2 CB's, to then need to buy one? The only reason we should buy a CB would be if he was ready to fight for starting spot.

The names we've been linked with early doors will all cost a fair whack. Would you really seek Bucko/Pearce/Raul to bring in couple mill tops, to then still need to spend several more on a top CB? Or else bring in another CB as backup, which seems pointless...

Sorry that was abit of a ramble, but if we have limited funds to spend this window (without a big sale) I would rather it went towards a position of need

I'm a big believer in having 2 players for each position of equal-ish standard.

With the matchday 18, that leaves 4 players out, this allows for suspensions, injuries and loss of form. Add a few top academy players in, to take it up to 25ish. Then when January comes around, review the first team players, those not performing can leave and be replaced by the academy players with the next batch of academy players taking their place. 

As r4derby says, why would we sell our back up center halves to buy new back up center halves? There's no point in that, if we're buying new, they have to be better than what we currently have.

What we lack is some sort of system for bringing through the academy players, MM wants 50% of the squad to be from the academy in a few years, but if we continually buy new all the time, even buying new back ups, then how is it going to happen? As I've said above, I'd like to see some sort of system introduced that the academy players can work towards, at the moment there doesn't seem to be a system.

26 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

I'm a big believer in having 2 players for each position of equal-ish standard.

With the matchday 18, that leaves 4 players out, this allows for suspensions, injuries and loss of form. Add a few top academy players in, to take it up to 25ish. Then when January comes around, review the first team players, those not performing can leave and be replaced by the academy players with the next batch of academy players taking their place. 

As r4derby says, why would we sell our back up center halves to buy new back up center halves? There's no point in that, if we're buying new, they have to be better than what we currently have.

What we lack is some sort of system for bringing through the academy players, MM wants 50% of the squad to be from the academy in a few years, but if we continually buy new all the time, even buying new back ups, then how is it going to happen? As I've said above, I'd like to see some sort of system introduced that the academy players can work towards, at the moment there doesn't seem to be a system.

2 hours ago, r4derby said:

Understand that Shotton was wanted and therefore left for Brum, while Raul will go back to Spain in all probability. But if Rawson is seen as not yet ready, why would we sell out other 2 CB's, to then need to buy one? The only reason we should buy a CB would be if he was ready to fight for starting spot.

The names we've been linked with early doors will all cost a fair whack. Would you really seek Bucko/Pearce/Raul to bring in couple mill tops, to then still need to spend several more on a top CB? Or else bring in another CB as backup, which seems pointless...

Sorry that was abit of a ramble, but if we have limited funds to spend this window (without a big sale) I would rather it went towards a position of need

If it was down to me Bucko would stay but the rumours are that he's considering a Wigan offer

Just now, RamsPolls said:

Would you want to see Camara go out on loan? Or even sold?

Personally I think he's a NP kind of player. 

I think he'll do very positively under NP and people should give him another chance.

The only people that haven't given him a chance are Clement and Wassal!

Archived