I've bought an Android phone and I like it

Day

49 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

What is this stock browser you speak of? Don't seem to have anything other than chrome. Then again, I'm not on a Samsung. 

Purple icon, just says internet.

I spoke too soon anyhow, bookmarks don't work, they just reload the same page you're on. They also have a quick access like Safari favourites but anything you add in comes up as a 404. This is where Apple "just works" can't be beaten.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, David said:

Purple icon, just says internet.

I spoke too soon anyhow, bookmarks don't work, they just reload the same page you're on. They also have a quick access like Safari favourites but anything you add in comes up as a 404. This is where Apple "just works" can't be beaten.

I don't have that icon. I seriously doubt I could have uninstalled it. Probably not allowed. Maybe it's a Samsung thing? 

So really, your issue is that three press problem :). Apart from pages loading slowly? Again, I don't have that issue. Must be a Samsung thing. 

1 day of exclusively using a Android thoughts.

Pros
- Wireless charging, just placing your phone on a pad is amazing. Can't tell you how many Apple cables I've been through.
- It looks amazing, even as a Apple fanboy, the S7 just looks stunning where I'm a little bored of the iPhone designs, with 7 to follow the same path as 6 and 6S doesn't excite me one bit.
- Customisation, I've not really changed much to be honest but when the OS starts to feel a little stale there are tons of themes and options to change the way the phone looks. 
- Camera has some pretty handy options, layering photos and drawing on top of images which is strangely amazing as no need to open in another app or open in Photoshop to place a arrow on a image to point something out.
- Double tap home button launches the camera ridiculously quick
- Ability to uninstall or disable bloat/crapware although this is also coming to iOS10
- Control centre, swipe from the top has a ton of options right there ready to go. Put's iOS control centre to shame.
- Water resistant, wow. 

Cons
- Super sensitive screen, like stupidly sensitive. Whilst the edge gives you a bigger battery and screen, you have to learn to hold the phone in a different way so that your palm doesn't start activating links on a page.
- Whilst the battery stats sound promising when compared to the 6S Plus, in real world it doesn't seem to make a difference. Although still early days on that one.
- It just doesn't feel as smooth as iOS, from apps closing to scrolling in the browser, just feels a little jumpy at times.
- Browsers, Chrome is jumpy as I mentioned, too many taps to get to bookmarks, no favourites list. Sends the temperature of the phone sky high if you use for a while. The stock browser was actually really nice until I realised bookmarks don't even work, just reload the page. How on earth did this even pass through their dev team.
- Auto correct is dreadful, if you thought Apple's was bad try this. It auto corrects words to words that don't even exist at times and with the screen sensitivity it's a must to have one. Really struggling to text at the moment with this. And to have auto correct on you must have predict on, that annoying strip of words Google thinks you want above the keyboard.
- Having to switch from iMessage to WhatsApp as I send a ton of images, already annoyed some by me using this phone.
- FaceTime gone. Google hangouts? nah, nobody uses that.
- emojis look absolutely awful, I mean dreadful, they make me feel a little sick to be honest.
- As a Mac user I'm struggling to find apps that I can switch to that sync and I like, not a huge fan of Google's products.
- No system wide back to the top, iOS click the clock, whatever the app and it fires you back up there. unbelievable there isn't anyway of doing this on Android.
- Can't find a way of checking for updates on all apps, I don't like having Auto update on as I like to see what the changes are first.
- Settings can be overwhelming even for me and the complete polar opposite to Apple's simplicity all be it limited settings. I prefer the simplicity to be honest.

Summary
Both phones have good and bad points, if you are in the Apple ecosystem it really doesn't make any sense to have an Android phone, there isn't any wow factors that will make you feel better about losing iCloud sync which works flawlessly. I almost want to compare the two with PES and FIFA, PES being the Android, clunky but great customisation. 

I will be going back to Apple without a doubt and the plan was the 7S, but chances are it will be for the 7. 

I needed a case to stop pressing the edge by accident, try the Google keyboard from the play store much better than the Samsung one for auto correct and the swipe type thingy is handy if you've only got 1 hand to type. 

Auto update of apps off - play store > menu > settings > auto update

Google keyboard is much better but why is it not there as standard, allowing manufacturers to load their crap on isn't always the best move.

Did find the auto update option already but no way of seeing which apps need updating, for example Samsung browser wasn't on the list but if I searched for it in the store, showed up as needing an update. Not that it fixed the bookmark issue either.

I know some see this as being great but to me having to go through various browsers and keyboards to find something that works is a huge turn off.

iPhone out the box is ready to go, no need to play around with that but they are available if you really want to try something different.

Still glad I tried Android as it's been a valuable insight into how I can improve the forum for you guys.

26 minutes ago, David said:

I know some see this as being great but to me having to go through various browsers and keyboards to find something that works is a huge turn off.

iPhone out the box is ready to go, no need to play around with that but they are available if you really want to try something different.

Still glad I tried Android as it's been a valuable insight into how I can improve the forum for you guys.

I've never had a problem with the stock keyboard. I don't have an Edge phone as I see it as a pointless waste of money paying for curvy bits. However I just can't get on with iPhone.  It's too small, the menus are confusing - but I know it's me not the phone. I'm not used to it and never will be. 

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

I've never had a problem with the stock keyboard. I don't have an Edge phone as I see it as a pointless waste of money paying for curvy bits. However I just can't get on with iPhone.  It's too small, the menus are confusing - but I know it's me not the phone. I'm not used to it and never will be. 

The curve bits are a bit pointless, but look pretty nice. Main reason is the bigger batter but it's a bigger screen so you probably don't get any extra screen size.

The iPhone 6S plus is actually bigger than the S7 Edge and you must be the first person to ever say the Apple menu's are confusing, compared to Apple it's unbelievably easy as everything is dumbed dow.

31 minutes ago, David said:

The curve bits are a bit pointless, but look pretty nice. Main reason is the bigger batter but it's a bigger screen so you probably don't get any extra screen size.

The iPhone 6S plus is actually bigger than the S7 Edge and you must be the first person to ever say the Apple menu's are confusing, compared to Apple it's unbelievably easy as everything is dumbed dow.

I know its entirely me because I'm familiar with the Samsung setup. I'm forever swiping the iPhone screen down and getting bloomberg stock prices or something equally useless, or looking for the back button that doesn't exist. 

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

I know its entirely me because I'm familiar with the Samsung setup. I'm forever swiping the iPhone screen down and getting bloomberg stock prices or something equally useless, or looking for the back button that doesn't exist. 

Swipe down > Edit > See little remove icons next to those widgets.

To go back on a iPhone in apps or the browser just swipe right. Really easy. Easier then bending your thumb back to hit a button

3 hours ago, David said:

My missus must be really thick! Forever whinging about menus, keyboard etc etc on her iPhone 6s. 

Will she ditch it? No. 

I like it she says. 

Well stop moaning about it every single time you pick it up then! Oh and stop asking me how to do things on it, when you know I've never even held an iPhone. 

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

My missus must be really thick! Forever whinging about menus, keyboard etc etc on her iPhone 6s. 

Will she ditch it? No. 

I like it she says. 

Well stop moaning about it every single time you pick it up then! Oh and stop asking me how to do things on it, when you know I've never even held an iPhone. 

Yes but would she think World War 3 started because she saw it on Facebook?.....mine did and can use her iPhone without help

Archived