Player Liason Officer

maydrakin

Is there such a role at Derby?

I remember reading an article on it where Man City have a member of staff who is responsible for getting the players integrated into Derby society.

With Albentosa and Camara being recent overseas signings who do not appear to have settled in as well as hoped, I do wonder if we're missing a trick.  I'm sure that Albentosa was pretty much left to fend for himself and I remember him in an interview saying how he missed some type of ham.  Surely, we should be providing someone who can help him settle in and get him what he wants or introduce him to various British cuisines that may be to his taste.

The role was to help players find a new home, find somewhere where they can get English lessons, where they can get the food they like, find people of  similar background so they don't feel isolated, etc.

At Man City, they were effectively on call and would be available if a player needed some help or advice.

As we're investing millions of pounds into these guys in transfer fees and wages, you'd think we should be taking care of these assets.  Take away all potential headaches for them so they can fully concentrate on playing.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew someone who who worked for a property company in Cheshire and dealt with the player liaison officers of Man City, Man U and (bizarrely) Stoke. They used to get calls in the middle of the night when player's dippy blonde wives locked themselves out or they couldn't get the electric gates to work. One player left the property in such a disgusting state they had to send a whopping bill to the club. 

It would be nice if the DET or Radio Derby did some sort of interview with him to give an idea of the role he carries out and what lessons have been learnt from the Albentosa transfer.

More understanding of the various roles around the club would be quite enlightening.

That, or a feature in the program, like a spotlight on the lesser noticed members of the DCFC team...

Archived