RIP Blake

Wolfie

Loved that series as a kid & watched it all again in the late 90's. Classic Sci-Fi.

Rumours of a reboot never came to anything unfortunately.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36041534

Gareth Thomas, star of '70s BBC sci-fi series Blake's 7, has died aged 71.

As Roj Blake in the cult series, the Welsh actor led a group of rebels on their Liberator space ship against an evil federation that ruled the galaxy.

Thomas was also an accomplished stage actor who appeared in several Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) productions.

His later television appearances include playing Nathaniel Clegghorn in ITV's Heartbeat and David Baddiel's father in Sky's Baddiel's Syndrome.

Born in 1945, Thomas attended the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in the 1960s and later became a Rada associate.

His roles at the RSC included Orsino in Twelfth Night, Cassio in Othello and Mat Burke in Eugene O'Neill's Anna Christie.

Image caption The show was derided by some but continues to have a loyal fan base

Yet he remains best known for Blake's 7, which ran on BBC One from 1978 to 1981.

At its peak, the series was watched by 10 million viewers and was sold to 40 countries.

Thomas claimed never to have watched a single episode of the show, which was derided by some for its shaky sets and basic special effects.

The show also had a distinctly pessimistic tone - typified by the final episode, in which all the main characters were apparently killed off.

Reports of the actor's death began to circulate after a Blake's 7 fan site announced he had died on Wednesday from heart failure.

"Our thoughts are with his wife Linda, and his family and friends," the message continued.

His death was confirmed by a friend who worked on a Blake's 7 remake, according to the Press Association.

Fans, friends and former colleagues have been paying their respects on Twitter, among them an actress who said she had appeared with him on stage in Salisbury.

"Our characters hated each other but he was a lovely actor and a lovely man," tweeted Ruth Mitchell.

Scottish broadcaster Muriel Gray, meanwhile, said she had "adored" Thomas and called the news "miserable".

Thomas's agent, Michael Hallett, said he was "a wonderful and very powerful actor" whose "fantastic career" had seen him play "a huge range of brilliant and diverse roles."

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loved Blake's Seven as a kid - way more than Star Trek, Space 1999, Doctor Who or any of those

Had a crush on Servalan, and even now 40 years later I'm a sucker for a powerful woman with a severe haircut

Very sad (the death - not my strange fetish, although that is quite sad)

2 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Loved Blake's Seven as a kid - way more than Star Trek, Space 1999, Doctor Who or any of those

Had a crush on Servalan, and even now 40 years later I'm a sucker for a powerful woman with a severe haircut

Not really a fetish, that's a "type". 

I do think Blake's 7 would make a decent series now. Look at what they did with the 80's cheese fest that was Battlestar Galactica - even though I did love that at the time, it really didn't age well until the very good re-make.

Blakes 7 had a much darker tone than most Sci-Fi - even without the controversial ending. It would update well IMO.

16 hours ago, Wolfie said:

I do think Blake's 7 would make a decent series now. Look at what they did with the 80's cheese fest that was Battlestar Galactica - even though I did love that at the time, it really didn't age well until the very good re-make.

Blakes 7 had a much darker tone than most Sci-Fi - even without the controversial ending. It would update well IMO.

Steven Hawking could play Orac - on wheels

18 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Is your favourte singer Skinhead O'Conker?

MI+Sinead+O+Connor+black+and+white.jpg

9 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Try telling that to Mrs Pesley when I'm trying to get her to wear a black swimming hat in bed..

Well have you explained yourself? Because out of context to Mrs Pesley that's definitely a fetish. Pretty niche one too. 

Making someone look like someone else isn't really a fetish, unless it's extreme. It's just extremely rude :p (unless you're roleplaying, at which point it becomes a fetish again. It's a fine line.)

On 14 April 2016 at 01:30, StivePesley said:

Every word you say there is as if you borrowed it from me. Although my Servelan fetish has diminished over time, I still 'react' to a powerful, slightly sinister yet very feminine women in authority...severe haircuts a bonus... But with that husky voice...whoa!

I'm not overly a science fiction fan outside Star Wars, some Star Trek (yes, starting with Voyager...refer above) and Battlestar Galactica. I loathe Dr Who and most other shows in the genre.

But I saw B7 late one Saturday night (it aired in Australia around midnight on Saturday) and, after I stopped laughing, I was hooked.

Unfortunately, having missed the first season, I had no idea who Blake was or why they named the show after a bloke who was never mentioned as far as I could tell. (No internet in the late 70s and early 80s to look it up, kiddies!)

Then they brought him back in the final episode just to kill him off! And everyone else.

Still loved the show! Have all the series on DVD; must have a re-watch at some time and raise a glass to Blake! RIP!

2 hours ago, RamDon said:

Every word you say there is as if you borrowed it from me. Although my Servelan fetish has diminished over time, I still 'react' to a powerful, slightly sinister yet very feminine women in authority...severe haircuts a bonus... But with that husky voice...whoa!

I'm not overly a science fiction fan outside Star Wars, some Star Trek (yes, starting with Voyager...refer above) and Battlestar Galactica. I loathe Dr Who and most other shows in the genre.

But I saw B7 late one Saturday night (it aired in Australia around midnight on Saturday) and, after I stopped laughing, I was hooked.

Unfortunately, having missed the first season, I had no idea who Blake was or why they named the show after a bloke who was never mentioned as far as I could tell. (No internet in the late 70s and early 80s to look it up, kiddies!)

Then they brought him back in the final episode just to kill him off! And everyone else.

Still loved the show! Have all the series on DVD; must have a re-watch at some time and raise a glass to Blake! RIP!

Yeah I have the DVDs and watched the whole lot again a couple of years ago. The writing was amazing. The costumes and effects are totally laughable but it still stands up as a character-driven yarn. The fact that the main characters weren't especially nice (even the "goodies") and no one liked each other is something that would never get past a focus-group these days. Avon was a horrible person, but brilliant at the same time.

On 20 April 2016 at 23:13, StivePesley said:

Yeah I have the DVDs and watched the whole lot again a couple of years ago. The writing was amazing. The costumes and effects are totally laughable but it still stands up as a character-driven yarn. The fact that the main characters weren't especially nice (even the "goodies") and no one liked each other is something that would never get past a focus-group these days. Avon was a horrible person, but brilliant at the same time.

You hit it in one!

Archived