The Future is Bright.....

Comrade 86

Negativity has been rife on these boards recently, perhaps on occasions with reason. That said, having navigated a tricky fixture yesterday against a fairly negative team and with a world of pressure on team and manager's shoulders, I'd like to think there are now reasons to be optimistic.

The resurgence of Craig Bryson, who brings urgency and dynamism to the midfield is a massive plus for me. His impact stretches beyond simply his own performance as he brings those around him into the game too. In short, he's a leader and assuming he stays fit, a natural captain in the making.

Young Jamie Hanson too, was a standout against Forest and will surely get more game time moving forwards. I was uncertain about him playing at fullback but I'm delighted to say he proved me wrong in spades, playing solid defence and heads up football when going forwards. He can only improve and he also adds some steel to a team that too often has crumpled under pressure.

Olsson too has been a revelation and possibly our best value buy this season. The crosses he gets in are what's been missing all year and with Ince plays on the left we have a combination that can be a potent threat in attack allowing us to bring Chris Martin into play. 

Bucko too too warrants a mention. Such a fierce competitor, it was great to see him leading by example after Shackell left the field. He'll keep the previous pairing on their toes now he's fit and available for selection again. 

With Butterfield, who I'd like to see interchanged with Hendrick and Will Hughes soon to be available for selection, we have an enviable midfield to which both lads can add a touch of much needed creativity to counterbalance the industrious Bryson. 

With all these positives in mind, I've started to dream again about us reaching the hallowed lands of the Premiership and the huge cash windfall that promotion would entail. Could we fashion a squad capable of staying up? I'd like to think we could. A new manager to come in as well being another intriguing possibility! 

Maybe I'm a dreamer, maybe I'm a fool but to my eyes at least, the future is bright, the future's black and white. 

COYR

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some nice points, couldnt disagree more in ever making Bryson a captain though.

He leads by example to an extent and is important in the current system we are trying to play. Not a vocal player, not one for motivating players around him by organising. The only way he would ever be captain in my eyes, is like when Owen was made captain by England..... youd make him captain if he was one only a few senior pros in a young young team who needed experience for someone to look up to.

Buxton on the other hand......

The future was bright before, it's just that some fans are determined to make tiny little molehills into enormous mountains that they can shout from the top of. 

I think Bryson is turning into Mr Derby County and that's brilliant but doesn't always make a captain  

Good post though. 

5 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Some nice points, couldnt disagree more in ever making Bryson a captain though.

He leads by example to an extent and is important in the current system we are trying to play. Not a vocal player, not one for motivating players around him by organising. The only way he would ever be captain in my eyes, is like when Owen was made captain by England..... youd make him captain if he was one only a few senior pros in a young young team who needed experience for someone to look up to.

Buxton on the other hand......

Interesting point about Buxton. Only doubt being whether he's an automatic pick for the starting 11. Has a chance to stake a claim now I guess if Shacks is out for any length of time.

4 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

The future was bright before, it's just that some fans are determined to make tiny little molehills into enormous mountains that they can shout from the top of. 

I think Bryson is turning into Mr Derby County and that's brilliant but doesn't always make a captain  

Good post though. 

Thanks Ewe. Jager also questions whether Bryson is captain material. I thought perhaps he might be the kind of player who could lead by example but you guys may be right. I also think there have been too many negative posts about the team recently. There seem to be some who view pretty much everything in a negative light which gets pretty tiresome at times. By and large I've kind of always tried to take a positive view bar the odd wobble. Certainly I feel no sense of entitlement where promotion is concerned and I'm not entirely sure why anyone would. Each to their own I guess. 

As much as I was very joyful all yesterday after with our 1-0 win against the old enemy, I woke this morning in a little bit more of a realty mood, that I must not start to believe everything will be just fine now for the rest of the season & nor should other Ram fans. 

Like it or not we do have to accept our narrow win yesterday was against a side with a fraction of the quality players we have. Also Forest are without doubt in a bit of a mess right now for many reasons most self inflicted, including the dismissal of their latest manager Dougie Freeman this week. They have also been on a dreadful run of results recently. So a good win for us YES, a boast for the confindence of our players YES, very pleasing for the fans YES. But as a fluid playing consistent winning team, I think we are still some way off being a promotion winning side at least this season.

The real test as to whether we are making real progress & whether bringing in the services of Dear Harry was a master stroke will come over the next two games away to Cardiff & at home to Hull, these two games will be the real test. Win those two & who know everyone on here might start to get rather excited as to what the remainder of the season holds for us.

44 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Thanks Ewe. Jager also questions whether Bryson is captain material. I thought perhaps he might be the kind of player who could lead by example but you guys may be right. I also think there have been too many negative posts about the team recently. There seem to be some who view pretty much everything in a negative light which gets pretty tiresome at times. By and large I've kind of always tried to take a positive view bar the odd wobble. Certainly I feel no sense of entitlement where promotion is concerned and I'm not entirely sure why anyone would. Each to their own I guess. 

There has been too many negative posts, but when your team is in free fall and loses a 3-0 lead within 7 minutes, the negative posts are valid. The problem is we have experienced this feeling before so when something like that happens people are going to start panicking. Thank God we won yesterday 

4 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

There has been too many negative posts, but when your team is in free fall and loses a 3-0 lead within 7 minutes, the negative posts are valid. The problem is we have experienced this feeling before so when something like that happens people are going to start panicking. Thank God we won yesterday 

That had me scratching my head too Jimbo but it's the preemptive stuff that does my nut in. There's fans and there's supporters. They're not always the same thing IMO.

Why does anyone think they should start telling us to temper our enthusiasm and remind us that we aren't storming the league. We know. For heavens sake let us enjoy the win we all care so passionately about before you start kicking off with the miserable stuff again. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, TETRA said:

As much as I was very joyful all yesterday after with our 1-0 win against the old enemy, I woke this morning in a little bit more of a realty mood, that I must not start to believe everything will be just fine now for the rest of the season & nor should other Ram fans. 

Like it or not we do have to accept our narrow win yesterday was against a side with a fraction of the quality players we have. Also Forest are without doubt in a bit of a mess right now for many reasons most self inflicted, including the dismissal of their latest manager Dougie Freeman this week. They have also been on a dreadful run of results recently. So a good win for us YES, a boast for the confindence of our players YES, very pleasing for the fans YES. But as a fluid playing consistent winning team, I think we are still some way off being a promotion winning side at least this season.

The real test as to whether we are making real progress & whether bringing in the services of Dear Harry was a master stroke will come over the next two games away to Cardiff & at home to Hull, these two games will be the real test. Win those two & who know everyone on here might start to get rather excited as to what the remainder of the season holds for us.

You have completely underestimated the local Derby effect. Performances in local Derbys cannot be relied upon. As a general point there is also not much to separate all teams in this division. Why the rush to preach caution. Enjoy yourself man!

45 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Free fall? Seriously? Don't you think that it a little bit of an over-reaction? Derby are currently 6th in the form table, ok quite a way behind Burnley and Brighton, but ahead of Sheffield Wed, Middlesbrough and Hull and level with Cardiff and Ipswich. If we are in free fall, what state are the others in?

55 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

Why does anyone think they should start telling us to temper our enthusiasm and remind us that we aren't storming the league. We know. For heavens sake let us enjoy the win we all care so passionately about before you start kicking off with the miserable stuff again. Thanks. 

Was just about to say the same thing. It's simply a question of perspective. 

12 minutes ago, eddie said:

Free fall? Seriously? Don't you think that it a little bit of an over-reaction? Derby are currently 6th in the form table, ok quite a way behind Burnley and Brighton, but ahead of Sheffield Wed, Middlesbrough and Hull and level with Cardiff and Ipswich. If we are in free fall, what state are the others in?

I think Eddie makes a good point. The stats do not indicate a team in freefall even if results recently have not met some fans' expectations. My sense is that if we keep those expectations within sensible parameters then we're less likely to feel embittered if games don't go our way. When I watch Derby and they play poorly I'll have a moan like anyone else but the level of vitriol directed at some players, PC, DW and the management team at times this season has been totally over the top. Just my opinion of course....

2 hours ago, TETRA said:

I agree with some of what you say but after beating the Gumps I remain cheery for at least a week or two afterwards ;)

Archived