AFL

scarboroughwa

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

It is ANZAC Day in Australia and New Zealand this coming Monday, April 25. For those unaware, ANZAC Day marks the landing of an Allied force at Gallipoli In Turkey in 1915. Since 1916, ANZAC Day has been marked to recognise those Australians and New Zealanders who have fought, and those who made the ultimate sacrifice in the wars in which our nations have participated.

If any of you get the opportunity to see any of the ANZAC Day ceremony preceding the match between Collingwood and Essendon (my club), may I suggest you have a look.

It's become the most solemn day in the AFL season and 90,000 or so attend the MCG regardless of how the two teams are performing.

We colonials can be too brash at times, I'm sure, but the AFL's ANZAC Day game has helped restore the focus and education of the sacrifice of our men and women in uniform. It's become, in just the 21 years since the two clubs inaugurated the match as a tribute to our returned servicemen and servicewomen, a wonderful tradition.

ANZAC Day pre-match ceremony, 25 April 2014, MCG. Collingwood v Essendon.

ANZAC Day pre-game ceremony commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli landing; 25 April 2015; Essendon v Collingwood, MCG.

I'll draw the line at suggesting you sample the game of Australian Rules Football other than suggesting that it's very possible to love both Australian football and (Association) football. I do. I was a fortunate second/fourth generation Australian lad brought up to love both sports.

18 hours ago, Ramchester said:

I'm off to watch the Dockers v Carlton today, live just 500 yards from the Subiaco Oval. 

They're putting on an ANZAC Commemoration which we'll get down early to watch. 

First game we've been to since moving here!

I thoroughly ignored that match - being something of a Car,ton loather and anticipating Freo hitting back massively. Indeed, I ignored of the day's football until turning on the radio for the taiil end of Melbourne v Richmond.

I am a tad deaf so assumed I misheard something about  Freo and Carlton...until u saw the score.

Nearly fainted! Being nearby to the Freo crowd

14 hours ago, RamDon said:

I thoroughly ignored that match - being something of a Car,ton loather and anticipating Freo hitting back massively. Indeed, I ignored of the day's football until turning on the radio for the taiil end of Melbourne v Richmond.

I am a tad deaf so assumed I misheard something about  Freo and Carlton...until u saw the score.

Nearly fainted! Being nearby to the Freo crowd

Amazing how they've gone from top of the league to rock bottom in the off season. They'll struggle to beat Essendon the way they're playing.

Poor finish for Freo as well, just as they looked like they might sneak a late win, they boot the ball straight to the Carlton forward in front of the sticks. Think it'll be a long season for both West Coast clubs.

West Coast will be all right. I have long thought they'll have a step back this season but I'm not entirely sure the evidence supports my view quite yet. Fremantle are dreadful, an amazing fall away. It adds weight to the 'Lyon wears sides out' theory (another I have never subscribed to.)

Archived