Victor Anichebe

Bris Vegas

1 hour ago, RicME85 said:

It still makes no sense.

Why buy an inferior product to when the best man for the job cant do the business?

What you're failing to grasp is that an out of form Martin is still more useful than a striker who doesn't fit the system. And changing the system? No thanks.

And there were much better signs against United. His assists in the last two games have been excellent. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

What you're failing to grasp is that an out of form Martin is still more useful than a striker who doesn't fit the system. And changing the system? No thanks.

And there were much better signs against United. His assists in the last two games have been excellent. 

Wow, have you actually read what I posted?

I wasnt saying anything about a striker that doesnt fit the system or changing system, my point was that people keep wheeling out the 'we need a forward in the Martin mould' line despite Martin struggling in our current system and that signing a player who has the same attributes as Martin but isnt as good as him isnt going to make a damn bit of difference.

So again. My comments were about signing an INFERIOR version of Martin to do the same job as him, not replacing him with a different type of player.

People are so quick to defend the wardrobe that they completely ignore the context of posts to get to their defence :lol:

1 minute ago, RicME85 said:

Wow, have you actually read what I posted?

I wasnt saying anything about a striker that doesnt fit the system or changing system, my point was that people keep wheeling out the 'we need a forward in the Martin mould' line despite Martin struggling in our current system and that signing a player who has the same attributes as Martin but isnt as good as him isnt going to make a damn bit of difference.

So again. My comments were about signing an INFERIOR version of Martin to do the same job as him, not replacing him with a different type of player.

People are so quick to defend the wardrobe that they completely ignore the context of posts to get to their defence :lol:

The changing the system comment was a pre-emptive strike to the usual rubbish that comes next, not a response to your original post. 

But you said before Bent > Martin, so how are you going to make that happen? A straight swap? A change of system? Do you see where I'm going with this?

That was just my order of ability, stating that I didnt rate Anichebe at all, nothing about the team or changing things.

...and that follow up post just proves my point about being so quick to defend Martin. You know you can have an opinion on things and post about them without having to post a proposed change of system.

3 minutes ago, RicME85 said:

That was just my order of ability, stating that I didnt rate Anichebe at all, nothing about the team or changing things.

...and that follow up post just proves my point about being so quick to defend Martin. You know you can have an opinion on things and post about them without having to post a proposed change of system.

You can give your opinion on Anichebe without taking a dig at Martin. Well actually, apparently you can't. 

You can, but as I say, when you make unnecessary digs at certain players, then people are going to defend them. I notice you still didn't answer my questions.

Seriously, this is getting boring now, its just going around and around.

I wasnt having a dig at Martin.

FOR THE FINAL TIME

I was pointing out that Martin cant score in this system so how is an inferior play with the same attributes going to.

As for answering your question...well did I need to seeing as I wasnt suggesting starting anyone else? I was merely giving MY opinion of the current forwards in the Derby first team - just their ability as a forward, not in a specific system, not in just the Derby lineup, just their ability - and then placed Anichebe where I thought his ability put him in relation to those players.

Now to keep you happy.

But you said before Bent > Martin, so how are you going to make that happen? A straight swap? A change of system? Do you see where I'm going with this?

The only way is a change in system. I dont subscribe to the belief that Derby can only play 433, in fact, I dont believe we play 433 as that is a far more attacking formation with the front three playing closer together as an attacking trio, IMO we play a 451 as our wide men arent advanced enough. 

Now isnt the time to be bringing in a new formation/system, thats what starting pre-season early is for, get the lads in early and do lots of prep work before the friendlies start.

To get the best out of Bent we would need to go 442, a number of clubs do it in this league so its not like it isnt do-able but as I said, now isnt the time. IF we did go 442 however, we could accommodate Johnson on the left which is undoubtedly his best position. 

N.B. This is not me saying we should replace Martin with Bent, this is just me hypothesising to give the answer to the above questions.  

4 minutes ago, RicME85 said:

Now to keep you happy.

The only way is a change in system. I dont subscribe to the belief that Derby can only play 433, in fact, I dont believe we play 433 as that is a far more attacking formation with the front three playing closer together as an attacking trio, IMO we play a 451 as our wide men arent advanced enough. 

Now isnt the time to be bringing in a new formation/system, thats what starting pre-season early is for, get the lads in early and do lots of prep work before the friendlies start.

To get the best out of Bent we would need to go 442, a number of clubs do it in this league so its not like it isnt do-able but as I said, now isnt the time. IF we did go 442 however, we could accommodate Johnson on the left which is undoubtedly his best position. 

N.B. This is not me saying we should replace Martin with Bent, this is just me hypothesising to give the answer to the above questions.  

So you would continue to start Chrissy?

@Bob Loblaw Yeah why not. We arent playing to the strengths of the current 11 so swapping him out and not playing to the strengths of any other player is a bit pointless, may as well have continuity.

@toddy That would be nice, hell, the middle man doesnt need need to be pacey if the men either side are up with him (like last season and the season before). 

At the end of the day I dont think we will see a well oiled machine at Derby this season. Clement is trying to do things his way and its going to take time. He needs to get current players understanding his philosophies and he needs to get the players HE wants in the positions HE feels needs improvement. We just need to be patient, accept we might not go up this season despite the money Mel has spent and realise we dont need to panic about FFP as it works in weird and mysterious ways that us common folk dont need to bother out little minds with. If we are sat here this time next season and we have the same problems then its time to start questioning what is going on, for now, sit back and enjoy the journey.

1 minute ago, rynny said:

Like against Birmingham? :huh:

Yep,

But no Russell.

3 front up front, all three interchange their positions throughout the game, this is a difficult for the opponents CB's to mark, it opens up spaces because it drags their CB's out of position. But we need three pacey forwards for this system to work - hence Ince Blackman and Weimann

8 minutes ago, toddy said:

Yep,

But no Russell.

3 front up front, all three interchange their positions throughout the game, this is a difficult for the opponents CB's to mark, it opens up spaces because it drags their CB's out of position. But we need three pacey forwards for this system to work - hence Ince Blackman and Weimann

Russell and Weimann have a similar ball retention ability so wouldn't vary much from that game. And I am sure Russell is a pacy forward.

22 minutes ago, rynny said:

Russell and Weimann have a similar ball retention ability so wouldn't vary much from that game. And I am sure Russell is a pacy forward.

Russell is going through a similar patch to Martin.

Got to be worth a punt, but for it to work the midfield has to release the ball so much quicker than it currently does.

Archived