Players on the fringe

SEAO

Not sure if this has been done before but it has become  an increasing topic of conversation amongst my golfing buddies recently brought about by the large squad that the Rams have.

Back in the day, before Academies and all the razamatazz that goes with it, clubs usually used to operate a minimum of  3 teams . The first team was usually made up as now of the best players who were in form. The second team or reserves was usually fringe players , players returning from injury and youngsters with promise who were "promoted " to gain experience of reserve team football. The third team  was colts just starting their professional careers or looking to earn a full time contract,.

The benefits of this system were that the reserves were able to play in their own league which for a long time in the north and midlands was called the Central League (southern reserve teams played in their own competition ) and they played home and away each Saturday . Consequently fringe players were fit and ready to go if required for the 1st team and also kept happy by playing regular football.There was a pathway for natural progression through the ranks for anyone with  ability and the step up from reserve team football to the 1sts although large was not a giant leap. 

This was before the days of 7 subs so to play each Saturday  wouldn't be possible now but there are plenty of weeks in a season to get 30 + reserve team games fitted in during the week.

The point to all this rambling is:

1) fringe players don't play anywhere near enough competitive games and eventually usually go out on loan somewhere

2) the step from -21 to 1st team is a chasm as far as I can judge and I wonder how many of the current crop will actually break through, particularly should we be promoted. This means that most of these players will probably end up in the lower leagues or non league and one could  ask what is the point of it all?. Someone will no doubt point to Will Hughes and Jeff Hendrick as exceptions recently and I would agree but the point is that they had to be given a chance by the manager to make progress.

3) How do the youngsters get the opportunity of a higher grade football , playing with and against seasoned pro's when as now we have 24+ potential first teamers all vying for a place .

Not asking for feedback necessarily just wondering what the answer is and does football need to turn the clock back .

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the concern is more to the "seasoned" professionals who can't find game time than the youngsters. The U21 leagues are not of a low standard and we're seeing one or two players make the jump per season (Max Lowe is on the cusp) - which is fairly standard for an academy structure. Plus we have Rawson, who is Rotherham's best defender, out on loan in the same league our first team is playing too which is hugely promising. And other players go out on short term loans quite often.

Your point about the lack of a reserve team affecting the fitness of out of favor first team players is relevant though, some of our squad would struggle to play 60+ minutes (at a guess but clearly I know absolutely nothing about the state of them) if called upon with the amount of time they've been away from the team. Under McClaren we had 2-3 first teamers in the U21's every game but as of late they've played a couple of games without any at all (not including the friendly in Spain). 

Its strange that the u21s only play about two games at the ipro per season, and then only because they are forced to by the rules.

how are they supposed to get used to playing in front a crowd?

i also agree that the loss of a reserves team leaves many players kicking their heels.

On 10/28/2015, 4:21:59, Rampage said:

I was thinking just the other day, when do Ssewankambo and Hanson ever play a game of football? We were short of a Hanson in the u21s game this week and had to play some players out of position. He should have played in my opinion.

Ssewankambo played in the only two U21 games I have watched this season.  

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Its strange that the u21s only play about two games at the ipro per season, and then only because they are forced to by the rules.

how are they supposed to get used to playing in front a crowd?

i also agree that the loss of a reserves team leaves many players kicking their heels.

This is why they are building stands at the Moor Farm pitch, U21 game swill be played there then. They also play in front of crowds at St. Georges. 

Archived