Pay up Pompey

vicky-27

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a call from the club last week trying to get me to renew my season ticket - when I had a moan about them going up next year, she told me that they were excellent value compared to other Championship clubs - I had to point out that they weren't competing with other championship clubs for my business as I was a Derby supporter and therefore wasn't considering buying a ticket elsewhere - it's quite scary the way the sales and marketing people think....

Yeah I'm right. We're the 3rd most expensive day out too.

[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/14367357]http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/14367357

Woah woah woah! Sweet child o' mine! Having high individual ticket prices is not equal to having high ASPs! Not by a very long way. This is one of the things the board have been criticised for - we have high gates but not high gate income to match.

* As we already know, we have high match day ticket prices - but we have low match day ticket sales

* Conversely we have high season ticket numbers - but they are relatively cheap and have many discounts.

= High attendances; low ASPs.

Woah woah woah! Sweet child o' mine! Having high individual ticket prices is not equal to having high ASPs! Not by a very long way. This is one of the things the board have been criticised for - we have high gates but not high gate income to match.

* As we already know, we have high match day ticket prices - but we have low match day ticket sales

* Conversely we have high season ticket numbers - but they are relatively cheap and have many discounts.

= High attendances; low ASPs.

lol, yeah I forgot about that, ha.

• 1 month later...
A report published by administrators PKF has revealed that Portsmouth owe £58m, £20m more than when the club came out of administration in October 2010.

Of that, £38m is owed for the purchase of the club from the previous administrators, UHY Hacker Young.

A further £10.5m investment made by Vladimir Antonov's Convers Sports Initiatives (CSI) remains outstanding.

Players are due £3.5m in wages and bonuses for the last two seasons, while £2.3m is owed to Revenue and Customs.

Additionaly, £3.7m is owed for general trade.

The report also shows that they have so far spent 1,652 hours dealing with the administration, at a cost of £525,000, which they have not yet been paid.

Trevor Birch, chief administrator at PKF, stated earlier on Wednesday that he had received no firm offers to buy the club, and that liquidation was still a real possibility

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17679909

• 1 month later...

This just takes the piss!

Portsmouth are a step closer to coming out of administration after Balram Chainrai's offer to take over at Fratton Park again was accepted.

On Friday, administrator [url=http://topics.skysports.com/Trevor+Birch/?section=football]Trevor Birchhttp://static.lingospot.com/spot/image/spacer sent proposals for a Company Voluntary Agreement which will see the club's creditors initially offered approximately 2p in the pound.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7800644/Chainrai-s-Pompey-offer-accepted

So basically other businesses could go, or may have gone bust, however the club survives and only pays 2p in the pound!

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure. It's on the Beeb banner but there's no full story yet, just the headline.

They're supposed to be heading out of administration soon aren't they? Not sure what the rules are about when you need to be out for it not to affect the following season.

Here we go;

[size=3]Portsmouth have been told by the Football League they will start the new season on minus-10 points if they are to be allowed into League One.

Pompey are currently in administration while the Pompey Supporters' Trust and Balram Chainrai vie for ownership.

But the League have told both potential owners the club must agree to certain conditions to play this season.[/size]

[size=1][size=3]As well as a 10-point deduction, these include paying all football creditors in full and strict financial controls.[/size]

[/size]

[size=1][size=3]So we'll be getting our cash afterall. Thanks very much Football League! [/size] 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' />[/size]

• 2 weeks later...
Footballers have scored own goals that lost cup finals and missed penalties that cost League titles – but seldom has a player put a club out of business. Tal Ben Haim could prove to be an exception.

Ben Haim is the highest earner of seven senior players Portsmouth cannot afford to keep paying. The League One club approach their first season in the third tier since 1983 with a 10-point deduction after entering administration for the second time in three years. But that could be academic if Ben Haim and the others do not agree to leave or tear up their contracts.

Removing their hefty wages from Portsmouth's payroll is a condition of two takeover bids, from previous owner Balram Chainrai and the Pompey Supporters' Trust. If neither proceeds, the 2008 FA Cup winners and 2010 finalists will run out of money within weeks and face liquidation.

Ben Haim, 30, an Israel international defender who has also played for Bolton and Chelsea, joined Portsmouth, then in the Premier League, in September 2009 and still has a year left on a contract reported to be worth £36,000 a week – about 15 times the League One average. Neither he nor Pini Zahavi, his agent, are keen to give up that kind of money and see it as a case of pay up, Pompey.

Ben Haim has become a sort of League One Winston Bogarde – the Chelsea defender who fell out of favour soon after arriving from Barcelona in 2000 but insisted on seeing out his four-year, £10 million contract training with the youth team. The difference is that Chelsea, under Roman Abramovich, could afford to keep paying.

One man who has dealt with both players is Trevor Birch, who inherited Bogarde when he became Chelsea's chief executive in 2002, and is now the administrator in charge at Fratton Park.

"Ben Haim represents everything that has gone wrong at Portsmouth, the excessive wages that were given four or five months before they went into administration the first time," he told The Independent on Sunday. "There were no relegation clauses in his contract, and here we are in League One trying to negotiate a way out of it. The player and his agent haven't caused the problem but they are not helping."

Ben Haim's contract alone could sink the club. "It's not just him, but his contract is by far the largest," Birch said. "The creditors have accepted Chainrai's offer but it is conditional on me reaching an agreement with those players. I'm working night and day to persuade them that we are running out of time."

To make the club's dwindling funds last as long as possible, Birch has imposed a £5,000-a-week salary cap, with the remainder deferred, but the Football Creditors rule means that the players must get their money eventually – unless the club folds, which could happen. "We are two or three weeks away," Birch said. "Then the players will get nothing anyway. It's brinkmanship, but the club is on a knife edge. [The manager] Michael Appleton can't sign any new players because there may not be a club."

Ben Haim recently released a statement in which he presented himself as a victim of Portsmouth's woes. "When the club went into administration the first time, I lost £2m net," he claimed. "I like the club and I like the fans, the best of any club I have ever been to. I am not in conversation with administrator Trevor Birch, but I know he is trying to do his best. Everyone wants to save the club and my interests are the same."

Ah yes, the almost ritual invoking of the Portsmouth fans. What do they think? "Ben Haim is on ridiculous money but I try to be fair," Colin Farmery, a Trust member, said.

"If an employer made you that offer you'd be mad to turn it down. Ben Haim's problem is that he's not a particularly personable player and hasn't played particularly well so has never had the fans' sympathy. He has become a focus, probably a bit unfairly."

Should the worst happen, the Trust have said they would attempt to start again in non-League football. "We're looking for these players to see the bigger picture," Farmery said.

"If they do take this to the limit, there's a danger of liquidation in a fortnight's time and they'll get nothing. The trust's bid includes fair compromise offers to ensure they end up with something and that the club can continue. Otherwise, in League One, the numbers just don't add up."

[url=http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/bel-haim-a-symbol-of-pompeys-fall-7964168.html#disqus_thread]http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/bel-haim-a-symbol-of-pompeys-fall-7964168.html

Archived