Perspective - Points Differences

robglosta

I have rather crudely jotted down how the teams from the top half of last season or the relegated teams from the Premiership are faring against us - I think it brings a touch of perspective. 

Relegated from Premiership: 

Hull +1

Burnley +1

QPR -2

Play-off runners-up:

Boro +2 (w/ gih)

Ipswich +1

Brentford -6

Championship top half (in order of last season standings): 

Wolves -5

Blackburn -6

Birmingham -2

Cardiff +1

Charlton -5

So, Boro aside (assuming they win today), every team who either came down from the Premiership with a shed load of money of finished in the play-offs or top half of the table are ALL (all of them) within a one game swing of us overtaking them - or we are already way in advance of them points-wise. 

Imagine how we might do when we 'click'. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mind all of a sudden goes back to an interview quote I saw from Bradley Johnson the other day, about how we've got a "good habit of not losing games". 

Despite the fact that it's being perceived as a poor start to the season, we've still only lost one  league game since the start of the season. If we'd won 2 more games but lost three more I sometimes wonder if people wouldn't be happier, not losing is important. 

All this and we've not even 'clicked' yet! 

I did another comparison using statto, comparing the 18 teams that are still in the division from last season.

All the teams have played 9 games except for 2014 - Wolves v Reading, and 2015 - Wolves v Middlesbro still to be played.

This shows the points difference compared with last season. (Plus unless indicated)

Brighton and Hove A 12
Fulham 7
Birmingham City 5
Bolton Wanderers 3
Cardiff City 3
Huddersfield Town 2
Reading 2
Middlesbrough 1
Rotherham United 0
Derby County -2
Ipswich Town -2
Leeds United -2
Sheffield Wednesday -3
Blackburn Rovers -6
Brentford -6
Charlton Athletic -6
Nottingham Forest -7
Wolverhampton Wndrs -8

The season ends at the end of September doesn't it? If it had, this was the position(with points obtained, and excluding the promoted teams) last year.

Nottingham Forest 19
Ipswich Town 17
Wolverhampton Wndrs 17
Middlesbrough 16
Derby County 16
Sheffield Wednesday 15
Charlton Athletic 15
Blackburn Rovers 14
Brentford 14
Reading 13
Leeds United 13
Cardiff City 12