UK Holiday Recommendations

Day

Having a week away in January, between Xmas and my birthday in February (hint hint), as the missus works a lot over Xmas with her job. I don't have wings so clearly not designed to fly so we're looking at holidays in the UK.

Looking for recommendations basically, we don't want to stay in a city although a short drive to one would be nice. Taking the dog with us so looking at maybe a log cabin kind of thing in the sticks with a little village/town nearby and that. 

Be nice to have a few things to do in the area as well so we're not just sat watching tv in the middle of nowhere for a week.

We don't mind how long it takes to get there.

Where should I be looking at?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loads to see in this country.

Name any Spanish resort and I can tell you what it's like.

Sea, beach, row of bars and restaurants, English bars full of overweight vest wearing Heron food shoppers eating eggs on chips. Lucky lucky on the street selling genuine Rolex watches for 20 euros, can also have a caricature whilst you wait for 20 euros.

Stray cats and dogs running around, the sound of horns as cars do what the **** they like. 

Swimming pools at all inclusive hotels full of crusty skinned men and women bloated on fizzy cheap watered down lager saying this is the life.

Having a week away in January, between Xmas and my birthday in February (hint hint), as the missus works a lot over Xmas with her job. I don't have wings so clearly not designed to fly so we're looking at holidays in the UK.

Looking for recommendations basically, we don't want to stay in a city although a short drive to one would be nice. Taking the dog with us so looking at maybe a log cabin kind of thing in the sticks with a little village/town nearby and that. 

Be nice to have a few things to do in the area as well so we're not just sat watching tv in the middle of nowhere for a week.

We don't mind how long it takes to get there.

Where should I be looking at?

There are some smashing cabins in the lakes, only thing is some of them you have to have a Camelot win to pay for them. 

Loads to see in this country.

Name any Spanish resort and I can tell you what it's like.

Sea, beach, row of bars and restaurants, English bars full of overweight vest wearing Heron food shoppers eating eggs on chips. Lucky lucky on the street selling genuine Rolex watches for 20 euros, can also have a caricature whilst you wait for 20 euros.

Stray cats and dogs running around, the sound of horns as cars do what the **** they like. 

Swimming pools at all inclusive hotels full of crusty skinned men and women bloated on fizzy cheap watered down lager saying this is the life.

Yeah, you're going on a visit then... or a trip.

There are some smashing cabins in the lakes, only thing is some of them you have to have a Camelot win to pay for them. 

Ones we've seen so far are all around £100 per night but sleep upto 6 which would make it loads cheaper

Haven't got a passport, scared of the photo booths

the good news is, if you apply now, you can have your passport in plenty of time.

If it wasn't for Jax, I'd definitely say get yourself out of the country for a bit of culture.

A few days in Prague would be a fraction of the cost of the same anywhere nice in England/Uk. 

I went in a January, it was very cold, but was one of the best weekends of my life, just me and my closest mate for his 30th. Went down the gun range and did some sightseeing, the whole weekend cost me about £200 and I paid for the flights, hotel, food, shootings, drinks for both. It will be a bit more expensive now though, as flights are not as cheap.

Don't be fooled into thinking that everywhere is the same just cos you know a stag party went there. Prague is an amazing place. 

Mostyn you fail to realise we wasn't designed to fly, even Mr T knows this. It's not that I haven't flown before either, I've been to mainland Spain, Ibiza, Majorca, Menorca, Tenerife, Lanzerote, Fuerteventura, Gran Canaria, Corfu, Crete and all of them bored me to tears and you would have to pay me to go back. 

I haven't done Italy to be fair but the thought of it bores me, pasta, pizza, surrounded with blokes that make me look like an ugly ******.

Prague sounds great, looks great, remember watching @WorksopRam tweets and feeling slightly jealous of the **** out there living it up on the cheap beer but we've got the dog and flying isn't normal like I say and utterly boring, the whole getting to the airport 2 hours before you even leave, crammed into a tin can like sardines with knees up my nostrils, I'm 6ft 5" and hung like an horse, it's not good being cramped up like that.

Sit by the window you realise how high up you are, sat in the middle you get squashed, sit by the aisle you get sausageted for perving on the stewardess legs thinking of those flight attendant Hub videos.

Or you could just man up and go to Prague?

Not a case of manning up, even if I thought ok, let's get in a photo booth, spend £80 on a stupid book to get out the country. Willing to put my body through the stress of flying.....I still have my dog.

Would never stick him in kennels, I've seen what they do to old people in homes, couldn't imagine how badly he would get treated. Still a puppy, a crazy puppy that will dig up your garden if you take your eyes off him for a second, ***** in your living room if it's raining and likes to chew through laces on your shoes. 

Not many people are willing to look after this hooligan of a dog so going out of the country is a no no, doesn't matter how cheap holidays abroad are it's simply not possible unless I leave the missus at home 

Archived