Footballers

sage

It's interesting that we now (to some extent) have footballers down the right hand side of our team who like to keep possession and are able to do so in tight spaces. I am relating to Butterfield and Ince and it's interesting to now see Martin spend more time in and inside right position to link up with them. 

Our left hand side tend to be more athletic and good strong runners such as Forsyth, Johnson and Russell, though the latter isn't a bad footballer. 

Though of us old enough to remember Derby under Arthur Cox will remember Derby playing tight little triangles of play down the left and side centred around McMinn, sucking the opposition defence and midfield towards them in an atempt to win possession, then we would switch the ball to the right to Micklewhite who would have space to run at the full back one on one. 

It will be interesting if Derby develop a similar pattern of play this season with build up play concentrated down our right hand side before switching to Forsyth and Russell to run at an exposed flank. As our RB position is arguably our weakest position (in terms of quality not quantity) it would be interesting to see us buy or loan a good footballing RB to further accentuate our possession dominated right hand side and develop this parry and thrust. right/left pattern of play.

Nowt on telly mate?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nowt on telly mate?

The Pacific. Just multi tasking as us blokes can do. 

I noticed the inklings of this at Preston. Didn't go to Reading, but the goal was an example of the Butterfield, Martin and Ince triangle. Even Christie had a decent game by all accounts. 

The Pacific. Just multi tasking as us blokes can do. 

I noticed the inklings of this at Preston. Didn't go to Reading, but the goal was an example of the Butterfield, Martin and Ince triangle. Even Christie had a decent game by all accounts. 

I realise the thread has changed slightly, but do you have Ince down as a possession player? I'm not sure I agree with that. I think he's a clever footballer, which is what this thread was about, but in a different way to a 'footballer' like Hughes who does keep the ball more. I think Ince finds his way through defences with smart, skilful touches and is a very cerebral player, but passing triangles? He's a very selfish player on the ball from what I see. 

I realise the thread has changed slightly, but do you have Ince down as a possession player? I'm not sure I agree with that. I think he's a clever footballer, which is what this thread was about, but in a different way to a 'footballer' like Hughes who does keep the ball more. I think Ince finds his way through defences with smart, skilful touches and is a very cerebral player, but passing triangles? He's a very selfish player on the ball from what I see. 

He isn't in the sense that Dawkins is but he uses skill rather than pace or power, This season he has been less 'selfish' and has looked to pass more and shoot and dribble less. You could argue that this isn't a good thing. However, he has been less direct then Russell. He operates in smaller areas of the pitch. He uses the opposition to move with ball, sucking them in before cutting inside and shooting. Russell looks to run beyond the defender with the ball.

This is why Ince being a left footed player playing on the right and Russell being a left footed player plays on the left (if Ince is playing).

Archived