The diamond

RamNut

It's been said that the diamond doesn't work because there's not enough width. Well West Ham played a team that loves to play with width today and came out on top, and I think it says when the system works well, it can work very well.

I don't buy it that the diamond is rubbish full stop. I'm unconvinced it's much use to us but I'm a long way off writing it off, unlike a number of people in this thread.

Think my main point is that it's not just the world's best teams that can make a diamond work. 

not sure about that.

the MOD analysis featured on Arsenal's lack of width, plus west hams goals came from two goal keeping errors - one from a free kick.

i think the nearest that we've had to the diamond was the Billy Davies' team that featured Pearson and Oakley pressing non stop and which gave a freer role to Giles Barnes. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been said that the diamond doesn't work because there's not enough width. Well West Ham played a team that loves to play with width today and came out on top, and I think it says when the system works well, it can work very well.

I don't buy it that the diamond is rubbish full stop. I'm unconvinced it's much use to us but I'm a long way off writing it off, unlike a number of people in this thread.

Think my main point is that it's not just the world's best teams that can make a diamond work. 

Oh right. 

I agree then. Don't think any formation is rubbish or fool proof. It's only a system of jobs. 

But I don't think players like Tom Ince, Chris Baird, Stephen Warnock are at all suited for the jobs they were asked on Saturday. Ince wants to turn and face up players and cut inside where there's a few teammates and shooting or crossing opportunities. Playing in that role he had on Saturday takes a lot off him. Cut inside to what? He was just cutting from where he finishes as a winger to where he starts as a winger if you know what I mean? He was running to where he wants to pick the ball up and getting the ball in a place he'd like to release it. 

There was no outside ball for Hendrick because Warnock wasn't supporting. 

Baird (when playing RB) kept looking for an outside ball and either ended up punting it down a channel or passing it back where it came from. Warnock the same except he always went back to Shackell or Carson.

Shotton came on and gave Baird an outside option. Then Bolton were stretched a bit and Ince found room but ran into trouble a few too many times. Martin started to link up with Shotton and the others making progress but he was a donkey tbh. 

I think on the right side we saw why the diamond could work with the right players. On the left we just saw Hendrick going solo. 

Without Shotton though we'd probably have played percentage football all game. All the best football came thanks to him providing width. 

Think the diamond needs either different players from Saturday or we need to be patient while some learn it. It wasn't a disaster but there wasn't much sign of the free flowing attacking football we've had. It was a bitty game. 

All what was needed was just better run from Russell and attack wouldn't have been too narrow or crowded.

And overall, to be disappointed with the attack which leads to shot against crossbar, it really is wristslashing.

All what was needed was just better run from Russell and attack wouldn't have been too narrow or crowded.

And overall, to be disappointed with the attack which leads to shot against crossbar, it really is wristslashing.

don't be a chump....it wasn't until we went wide that we created the chance.

P.s. see first post predicting some numpty would confuse discussion with wrist slashing.

well done. 

you won.

don't be a chump....it wasn't until we went wide that we created the chance.

P.s. see first post predicting some numpty would confuse discussion with wrist slashing.

well done. 

you won.

Quite sensititive tonight?

This is the point I was talking about. Better run from Russell and it would've been among the best attacks possible. We created the shot later but best possibility was ruined by Russell's poor timing and movement off the ball. Ince was in the middle, about 20 yards out and would have had two excellent choices to pick from: 1) pass to striker (this case Russell) if the defender doesn't react quickly to his run or 2) have freedom to shoot from great spot.

Archived