To tip or not to tip?

Wolfie

Tipping  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I always tip especially if they have done a good job, and are the waiter/waitress for several others as well. 

I have seen some people not leave anything for a waitress/waiter, and I saw her run herself/himself ragged getting them stuff, and their bill was probably pretty high from what I saw. Yes, she/he was getting paid regardless but a tip would have been a nice gesture in that sense imo.

Some restaurants in the States I have been to automatically add 15% to the bill.

Also, a couple of friends of mine are waiters and just get the minimum wage of $7.25/hour. Not a ton when you factor in rent, power, food, etc. So tips really are a big help to them.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you think the wage you get is acceptable but you still expect tips for doing your job you are paid to do? :blink:

I'd obviously like more but minimum wage is minimum wage. I don't mind not getting any. I'll take it or leave it. They're just a bonus. I don't really expect them as such, just surprised me when I started as to how few people tip as I always have done. 

I work as a lowly barman/waiter in a hotel. I don't take it as a given but it's surprising how many people don't tip, even when everything seems first rate. 

Thought it was a local thing until I read this thread and realised that there's more tight people around than I suspected. 

I've also worked in low paid jobs and was not allowed to receive gifts or donations. If you want more money then have you considered going to college?

I work as a lowly barman/waiter in a hotel. I don't take it as a given but it's surprising how many people don't tip, even when everything seems first rate. 

Thought it was a local thing until I read this thread and realised that there's more tight people around than I suspected. 

I'm sure there is a local element - assuming you work in/around Worksop, that is. Having lived there for 12 years until last year, I would say the local customers are probably less likely to tip than those in more affluent areas.

You'll find tight people anywhere but the born & bred Worksop people I mixed with were stingier than most. 

I've heard Grimsby folk are as tight as a gnat's chuff as well :ph34r:

I'm sure there is a local element - assuming you work in/around Worksop, that is. Having lived there for 12 years until last year, I would say the local customers are probably less likely to tip than those in more affluent areas.

You'll find tight people anywhere but the born & bred Worksop people I mixed with were stingier than most. 

I'm tight as a gnats ass me :p 

I've also worked in low paid jobs and was not allowed to receive gifts or donations. If you want more money then have you considered going to college?

I think anyone would want more from a minimum wage job, and I've been to college and university, thank you. 

A hell of a lot of waiters/bar staff are at college.

Please come back and take me with you. 

It's fascinating how uppity and entitled waiters/waitresses can get about tipping. I remember a bit of a row with some friends, 2 were waitresses, one worked in Morrison's and I worked in a nursing home, a job in which I am simply not allowed to receive tips. I couldn't even use my loyalty card when shopping for a service user as this is considered abuse. Anyway the waitresses told the Morrison's worker that he shouldn't receive tips like
They should get as he didn't have to provide good customer service. The arrogance!

The other day I nipped in ASDA and I couldn't see where the batteries were. I asked a guy who walked to the other end of the shop for me, told me which battery types they had, made a constructive comment about the ASDA's own and the name brand, asked if the ones I wanted were there and asked if there was anything else I wanted. Strangely, after receiving this decent customer service from a low paid worker I wasn't compelled to start digging in my pockets for change.

Giving tips to waiters and waitresses is indeed a cultural thing, and it's one that lacks consistency and discriminates against other low paid workers.
The other argument is that they don't work as many hours perhaps. Well there's nothing to stop them getting a second job and in any case should that not be there employers responsibility rather than the customer? I half expect a one-eyed bear to come up with a collection plate when I eat out.

Do those that tip in restaurants give tips to supermarket checkout workers? just curious

No but where is the connection?.

If you go out for a meal, your are investing maybe 2 hours of your time and likely a decent amount of money in what should be a pleasurable experience made up of food, drink, atmosphere and hopefully good service from one or several staff which could ruin the experience just as much as poor cooking.

You come into contact with the checkout worker for maybe a couple of minutes tops. It's a totally different interaction.

If you go out for a meal, your are investing maybe 2 hours of your time and likely a decent amount of money in what should be a pleasurable experience made up of food, drink, atmosphere and hopefully good service from one or several staff which could ruin the experience just as much as poor cooking.

You come into contact with the checkout worker for maybe a couple of minutes tops. It's a totally different interaction.

Are you saying there is more to the job? Maybe someone should tell their employers this. 

Are you saying there is more to the job? Maybe someone should tell their employers this. 

More to what job?. I've explained what I think.

You just come across as bitter and jealous because some low paid workers get tips and you don't/didn't.

I don't see it as a different kind of interaction, if you are doing a weekly shop it could cost more than a night out in a restaurant, you would also like the same level of service with a smile, a checkout worker with a face on her throwing your food down the belt it can also ruin the experience. 

If you also add up the time a waiter/ess visits your table compared to how long you spend in front of a checkout worker I would say it was about the same, if not more with the checkout depending on the amount of shopping. 

I don't see it as a different kind of interaction, if you are doing a weekly shop it could cost more than a night out in a restaurant, you would also like the same level of service with a smile, a checkout worker with a face on her throwing your food down the belt it can also ruin the experience. 

If you also add up the time a waiter/ess visits your table compared to how long you spend in front of a checkout worker I would say it was about the same, if not more with the checkout depending on the amount of shopping. 

You're just being pedantic now. Or you eat out at rubbish places. 

Archived