Championship Table preview???

superalbyrams

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly can not think of any 'surpise' team who were in the Championship last season that might come anywhere near the playoffs this time around. Perhaps one of the promoted teams will do really well?

Isn't that the definition of a surprise? That you don't expect it, or that you can't see it? It's not a surprise if someone predicts who it will be.

No one in their right mind would have said that Ipswich would have been part of that breakaway group of 8 at the start of the last season - they'd only signed one player for an actual fee, and on paper you wouldn't have said that they were destined to improve on mid-table mediocrity. 

Rotherham have a better team than Bristol City at this moment in time. 

Bristol haven't signed a single player. Plus, their squad is built on a good number of players who have previously failed at this level. No dark horse there. MK Dons and Preston haven't really done much either. 

Isn't that the definition of a surprise? That you don't expect it, or that you can't see it? It's not a surprise if someone predicts who it will be.

No one in their right mind would have said that Ipswich would have been part of that breakaway group of 8 at the start of the last season - they'd only signed one player for an actual fee, and on paper you wouldn't have said that they were destined to improve on mid-table mediocrity. 

I tipped them for the playoffs last year (Ipswich), mainly due to them not being far off the season before and having a manager who is renownded at getting teams into the top six at this level.

Re surprises, I meant from the teams in the Championship last season. Of the three promoted teams, I'm automatically writing off Preston as Grayson has a mediocre record at this level.

I just can't see a case for the 13 teams who finished between 9th - 21st to make any sort of crack at the top six this coming season. None really stood out as making big improvements from February - May, none have renowned successful managers at this level, none have made particularly interesting signings (perhaps Sheff Wed aside) and from my knowledge none possess any outstanding youngsters expected to improve dramatcially over the next 12 months.

Therefore unless MK Dons or Bristol City have an excellent season, I can't see the finishing league table to be of particular surprise.

Archived