Homebrew

Wolfie

I've decided to have a go at wine-making at home and have just bought a 6 bottle starter kit for wine in 3-4 weeks. It had decent reviews but might be rubbish.

Since I'm new to all this, I'd be interested in any tips or recommendations that people might have.

One question: Do I need to have bottles with corks or can I re-use screw top bottles that I have in the recycling?.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wait til @eddie sees this.

He's gonna tear you a new one! Wine? Wine?? Get the proper stuff brewing and give it a good name too!

​Not me mate.

I made some Chablis-style wine myself a few years ago and if I say so myself, it was not too chablis shabby. I haven't brewed anything apart from the odd kit for the last few months - we had a new kitchen installed and the taps are not compatible with all my hoses but I'm going to get a stand-pipe plumbed in over the next few weeks so I'll start again. 

Re corks - not necessary at all. Many pretty decent wines you buy nowadays are screw-cap - provided the cap is lined, it's not a problem. This nonsense about letting a wine age and breathe is just that - nonsense. Oxygen in all brewing is your enemy. Gerrit down your neck.

Re corks - not necessary at all. Many pretty decent wines you buy nowadays are screw-cap - provided the cap is lined, it's not a problem. This nonsense about letting a wine age and breathe is just that - nonsense. Oxygen in all brewing is your enemy. Gerrit down your neck.

​Thanks. I do buy decent wine when I can and yes, most of it comes with screw caps nowadays. I remember when they first started using them in supermarkets and I was a bit of snob & only bought bottles with corks. No getting away from them now & at least I can re-use old bottles instead of buying new ones.

Yes screw top are so much easier than corks. We never use corks.

Get yourself to a park(we go to Shipley park) and pick loads of fruit and get it bubbling.

Also for a nice quick wine Summer Fruits from Farmfoods makes a nice wine.

Redcurrant is my favourite at the moment. We planted various bushes and trees to keep us self sufficient in fruit. If only we could grow sugar.

If your wine isn't strong enough, add some Vodka to it.

Yes screw top are so much easier than corks. We never use corks.

Get yourself to a park(we go to Shipley park) and pick loads of fruit and get it bubbling.

Also for a nice quick wine Summer Fruits from Farmfoods makes a nice wine.

Redcurrant is my favourite at the moment. We planted various bushes and trees to keep us self sufficient in fruit. If only we could grow sugar.

If your wine isn't strong enough, add some Vodka to it.

​I'm surprised that's got you beet.

Made some cider once, followed an old gypsy recipe which involved straining it though ladies tights. It tasted more like vinager and wasn't far off flammable.

My mate drank some, rode home on his mountain bike and stacked it, his girlfriend found him sat cross legged at the side of the road with his poo on his hands. 

Made some cider once, followed an old gypsy recipe which involved straining it though ladies tights. It tasted more like vinager and wasn't far off flammable.

My mate drank some, rode home on his mountain bike and stacked it, his girlfriend found him sat cross legged at the side of the road with his poo on his hands. 

​I think the tights were meant to be clean..

Sounds like she perhaps wasn't quite the "lady" she claimed to be.

• 4 weeks later...

Bottled (and sampled of course) the first batch of Cab Sauv at the weekend. Good flavour & crystal clear but a little on the light side, as I generally prefer something with a bit more body. Maybe that will improve with age. A decent first attempt except that I noticed I'd accidentally left the bung out of the demijohn for a few hours before I syphoned it. Everything was sterilised but I'm hoping not too much oxygen got to it - rookie error I suppose.

Started off a batch of blackberry wine last night from another kit, so will see how that goes.

I'll start using proper fruit once I've got the hang of the process.

Archived