Crosses

AmericanRam

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't think there was anything wrong with our crosses tonight, if anything I think we should've put a few more in as we showed a tendency to get over elaborate in a congested middle at times.

I looked at crossing stats a while ago and I discovered that in the 2011/2012 season the best teams in the Premier League completed around 25% of crosses and scored from just 2%. I think in general fans have too high an expectation of a goal from both crosses and similarly set pieces which leads to pretty much every club across the country believing they are bad at converting them.

I'd predict we're much less bad than others (on crosses at least, set pieces is another story) but I don't have Championship stats to hand.

There tends to be no point in us slinging crosses in, when do you ever seen us score a headed goal like that? Very rarely.

We are better working it, looking for the opening then if we have to put it across then we look for the cut back or get it low and hard.

Most people agree that, last season's best crosses came from Forsyth. His crossing worked best when he hit it low and hard into the space between the keeper and the last defender. 

This season, Forsyth doesn't seem to have gone forward as much due to Christie going forward at every available opportunity. This means there have been less crosses overall so any bad ones are now highlighted more.

Christie seems to prefer cutting inside and then pulling it back for an attacker to strike i.e Hendrick's goal against Rotherham. Different type of play but equally effective as shown by his 5? assists so far.

Most people agree that, last season's best crosses came from Forsyth. His crossing worked best when he hit it low and hard into the space between the keeper and the last defender.

This season, Forsyth doesn't seem to have gone forward as much due to Christie going forward at every available opportunity. This means there have been less crosses overall so any bad ones are now highlighted more.

Christie seems to prefer cutting inside and then pulling it back for an attacker to strike i.e Hendrick's goal against Rotherham. Different type of play but equally effective as shown by his 5? assists so far.

Funny that Forsyth got an assist in the "Christie-esque" fashion tonight and Russell in a "Forsyth-esque" fashion too!

Archived