who has done enough tonight

sage

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite his stature and strength, Best just isn't a "hold up the ball" type player, he runs off the back of players, which is why he'd be better suited playing off Martin rather than on his own. When he next plays the midfield would be better trying to play him in round the back rather than too his feet.

He certainly has proved beyond doubt he is not a target man.  My concern is also that if he gets the balls in channels he will merely hold it up then ... he does have strength, but not much guile, and not great pace.  Admittedly he had a good sub appearance at ?Forest, but he really is no replacement for Martin, and I am sure he was bought to play the Martin role.  As we saw last night, if they play together, it will be with Martin behind him .....the rle Martin can play very well, as he did at Leicester last season pretty much all game from memory.

If we went with two upfront, one striker feeding off Martin, I would rather have Ward or Russell playing .....ie: Best is only 4th choice central striker when playing 2 up ( not that we ever do, Forest aside for 15minutes )

Best is/was our no2 choice for paying as lone striker.

That, more than midfield is where we are weak.   If Martin, heaven forbid got injured, we would not progress with Best as lone striker, we would be forced to change formation and play two up

I wasnt at the game last night.

But I could hear the radio derby commentary and I have seen enough of Best in the other games to agree with the previous Poster.

For all his size, Best is just a slightly better version of Salmon, in that he is only good in a 4-4-2 and in that he likes it played in behind. Not a hold up man at all, which in our system is what we need.

Its no concidence the goals against charlton and reading in the league cup came after Martin came on as sub.

I think Derby's only saving grace with Best on the field, is Martin seems to perform better when Best is also on the pitch as Martin can drop deeper for the ball whilst Best occupies the marking central defenders. The come back against cardiff being a case in point.

Very exciting times - arguably other than Best stepping in for Martin, and Naylor for Fozzy, both of whom are still sound championship players, McLaren really does appear to have all bases well covered. This is where he now earns his money, because with this squad it would be a major disappointment if we didn't go up this time round. In a week or two's time Hendrick is back in that midfield mix, oh and just to think Thornino might just be back come Feb/Mar. The challenge for him now is not only picking the right team, but keeping everyone happy.

Surprised we didn't get a like for like reserve in for Martin really given the system we play, I suggested Tudgay who was available for free and can hold it and lay it off (has since gone to Coventry), not saying he would have been fantastic but he would have at least fit the jigsaw. Maybe we will change the system if Best plays in the future?

The reason I think Eustace will play at Bolton is that Mascarell is fairly slight (would say Hughes is more aggressive and even he found it tough in the role) and there were a couple of times he got muscled out of it though in general he passed it very fluently and had his best game yet. In a home game I'd feel more comfortable playing him. Plus unlike some others (who wont ever admit he plays well!) I thought John had a very good game against Cardiff so deserves to keep his place anyways!

I think Shotton will stay in alongside Keogh and Ibe and Ward will be the wingers.

Archived