Commonwealth Games

Ovis aries

Well done to Greg Rutherford and everything, but his success got me thinking. How does someone make a full time job out of showing up to an event every few weeks or months, jumping in a sand out 3 times, and then going home.

You could say that about most athletics sports (usain bolt works for 10 secs a night!), but some reason the long jump seems the most daft to me.

At least with something like football, it's week in week out, and it's a wide range if skills, tactics and athleticism you've got to learn.

But after he won his medal, Greg was asked, 'What's next?' And he said he's got to start training now for the European championship in a couple of weeks. Just struck me as a fairly pointless existence, to be honest, not that he had to go straight back into training, which is good dedication, but that all he had to look forward to is the next big championship, and the next, which are often months apart. Some were taking about a couple of events, but the main thing being Rio in 2 years. You're going to train for two years, to show up on an evening, jump in a sand pit 3 times, and go home. What's the point?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived